Cape Town – The African National Congress in the Western Cape has postponed its manifesto launch at the very last minute.
ANC deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa was meant to launch the manifesto on Sunday in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
But on Friday afternoon, with guest tags already printed, and after hours of blitz events at various public transport stations, the event was postponed.
Provincial Executive Committee spokesperson Jabu Mfusi said the party had received a call on Friday from the national office, informing them of the postponement.
On Saturday, the deputy president was supposed to do door-to-door campaigns in Mitchells Plain, as well as address a dinner, costing R1 000 a person.
Western Cape ANC spokesperson Yonela Diko earlier said all events had been postponed, as the entire weekend had revolved around Ramaphosa.
However, Mfusi has since said that the event was postponed due to ongoing list disputes.
Mfusi said there had been various protests at the party’s Sahara House offices during the finalisation of candidate lists.
He said there were a number of people who were dissatisfied with the process.
"So, as an organisation, we thought it would be important to postpone the rally so that we address all concerns in branches."
It would now be hosted in two weeks' time.
He said they wanted all branches to be able to focus on the manifesto.
"The deputy president was available. We just thought it would be better to postpone," he said.
* This article has been updated.