Johannesburg - South African Airways (SAA) has lifted a ban on applications by whites for its cadet pilot programme, according to Sunday's Rapport newspaper.
The airline's website had been changed so that applications from white men would not automatically be rejected, according to Fikile Thabethe, head of the airline's legal department.
The ban was lifted on Friday, after trade union Solidarity sent SAA a letter from its lawyers, urging it to drop its quota system for cadets.
The Democratic Alliance and Solidarity reacted with outrage on Friday to news that whites would be excluded from the programme.
SAA spokesperson Kabelo Ledwaba told Beeld the move was meant to bring pilot demographics in line with the country's. He told Rapport that 85% of SAA's pilots were white, and, of these, 91% were men.
The closing date for applications to the cadet programme had been extended from August 17 to August 31, to allow other whites to apply, as Solidarity had demanded.
"This total ban on applications from whites goes against the letter and spirit of the constitution," Solidarity's deputy general secretary Dirk Hermann told Rapport.
- Reserve Bank slaps Nedbank with R35 million in fines
- Spain investigates corrupt 'too-tall trains' sale, while SA has taken no action
- 'I will not be blackmailed': Johann Rupert refuses to change Richemont board
- New twist in battle for Telkom: Investment firm makes bid for govt stake
- Tongaat wants R76m back from ex-property boss, including for losses from 'dodgy' deals
- July unrest: Teacher, financial adviser and optometrist's assistant - the unlikely masterminds?
- Death at Huis Maudie Kriel: Ceres old age home was last inspected almost five years ago
- Culpable homicide case threatens to derail ex-MEC Maloyi’s quest to lead ANC in North West
- R2.2bn in flood relief funding approved, but only R100m has so far been paid to service providers
- African researchers must be trusted by global health community, says head of US Aids relief plan
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes
Covid-19 Money Hub - answering your business and money questions during the crisis
22 Jul 2020
MONEY CLINIC | Can a debt counsellor place a consumer under debt review without a...
MONEY CLINIC | All your debt counselling questions answered
MONEY CLINIC | How can I save on my insurance premiums?
Find public sector tender opportunities in South Africa here.
This portal provides access to information on all tenders made by all public sector organisations in all spheres of government.Browse tenders