Post Office staff only get 70% of their salaries

Johannesburg - The South African Post Office (Sapo) says it paid all its staff 70% of their total salaries with the remaining 30% expected to be deposited by October 31.

Sapo revealed last week that it originally planned to pay salaries in two batches: 50% on October 25 2015 and the balance on 31 October 2015.

“Through our efforts to alleviate the effect of the SA Post Office’s negative position on employees, we paid 70% of each employee’s salary on Friday 23 October, as opposed to a 50%/50% split initially indicated, to all our employees,” said Sapo spokesperson Khulani Qoma.  

“The balance of 30% of all individual salaries is due on the last day of October,” said Qoma.

Sapo said in a written response on October 16 to unions that because of "current financial constraints" it was unable to pay full salaries on October 25 2015.

The Post Office was put into administration last year following a crippling months-long strike and a poor financial performance.

Earlier this year, it was reported that it expected to report a loss of R1.3bn.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
15.66
-1.2%
Rand - Pound
20.97
-1.2%
Rand - Euro
17.46
-1.3%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.94
-0.6%
Rand - Yen
0.14
-1.2%
Gold
1,786.67
-0.6%
Silver
22.31
-2.0%
Palladium
2,384.00
+0.4%
Platinum
1,010.27
-1.6%
Brent Crude
89.34
-0.7%
Top 40
67,021
-0.1%
All Share
73,455
-0.1%
Resource 10
74,081
-1.4%
Industrial 25
90,993
+0.6%
Financial 15
15,218
+1.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot