Following a disciplinary hearing, the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa has axed its general manager responsible for risk management, Matome Mohube. He is also the former company secretary.
According to a statement from Prasa, issued on Friday afternoon, the disciplinary hearing looked into charges involving the falsification of board resolutions of a meeting held on February 28, 2011 dealing with submissions of three companies to be considered for different services.
"Our commitment as Prasa is to make sure that we have a calibre of individuals and employees that are ethical, honorable and who understand the mandate of this organisation and their role in contributing to delivering public value for this country," said Group CEO Dr Nkosinathi Sishi.
Sishi said the rail agency was "determined rid Prasa of corruption, nepotism and administrative inefficiencies".
Commenting on the decision, chairperson of Prasa's interim board Khanyisile Kweyama, said that the board is committed to leaving Prasa in a better state than that in which it was found.
Transport Minister Blade Nzimande appointed the interim board to turn around the ailing rail agency in April 2018. The board was supposed to serve for a period of 12 months. Nzimande recently extended the interim board's term by another six months.
Earlier on Friday morning Fin24 reported that Prasa had suspended its head of security in the Western Cape as well as two other security officers, due to an investigation into whether there was a security lapse that resulted in the burning of 12 train coaches.