Rhino death toll at KZN reserve hits 8

2015-09-29 16:36
(File, AFP)

(File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban - More details have emerged about the poaching of what is now confirmed to be eight rhino at a private reserve in KwaZulu-Natal over the weekend and on Monday.

Hluhluwe Game Reserve spokesperson Musa Mntambo confirmed that an additional two rhino were killed over the weekend.

The eight rhino were killed in three separate incidents that occurred in different areas of the Hluhluwe Game Reserve.

"In one incident, two rhino were shot and de-horned while in another, five rhino were darted on. It is one of these that survived," Mntambo told News24 on Tuesday.

The third incident occurred in the far north-west of the park, where two of the animals were shot.

The authorities were confident that the surviving rhino would make a full recovery and it had been taken to a secure boma in the park.

Mntambo said this brought the tally of rhino poached in KwaZulu-Natal this year to 86. He added that a total of 22 firearms had been recovered from other poaching incidents.

Rhino poaching has escalated this year with over 1 500 killed to date.

Mntambo said earlier that in June this year, the bulk of rhino were poached in KwaZulu-Natal, with 13 killed in a single month.

Read more on:    durban  |  rhino poaching  |  crime
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.