Taiwan hit by second storm after Nesat injures 111

2017-07-30 15:27
Residents walk against the wind as Typhoon Nesat hits New Taipei City in northern Taiwan. (Sam Yeh,  AFP)

Residents walk against the wind as Typhoon Nesat hits New Taipei City in northern Taiwan. (Sam Yeh, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Taipei -Taiwan was hit on Sunday by its second major storm in two days after Typhoon Nesat battered the island, leaving at least 111 injured while causing flooding and widespread power outages.

Much of the island came to a standstill on Saturday after Nesat made landfall in the eastern county of Yilan, whipping up massive waves of over 15 metres and dumping up to 58 cm of rain in the southern region of Pingtung.

It moved away from Taiwan Sunday as Tropical Storm Haitang churned towards the south of the island and made landfall in Pingtung in late afternoon, said the Central Weather Bureau.

It is the first time in 50 years that Taiwan has issued warnings for two such storms together.

"Even though Haitang is gradually weakening, it is expected to bring heavy rain in central and southern Taiwan from tonight to tomorrow and we urge people to be on guard," said forecaster Lin Ting-i.

The storm was 50 km northwest of Eluanbi, the southernmost tip of the island, at 18:00 (10:00 GMT).

More than 12 000 people have been evacuated since Saturday, with nearly 9 000 soldiers deployed for disaster relief.

Most train services were suspended and around 500 domestic and international flights cancelled or delayed during the weekend.

At least 111 people were injured, mostly by falling objects or car accidents while some slipped in the bad weather, according to the central emergency operation centre.

More than half a million households were without electricity as Nesat pounded the island with downpours and winds of up to 180 kilometres an hour.

60 000 households

Pingtung suffered the worst flooding as of Saturday night, with some 200 residents stranded but later rescued.

Images showed flooded homes and motorcyclists pushing their vehicles through water.

Around 60 000 households were still without electricity on Sunday though rail services had mostly resumed.

TV footage showed soldiers sending food to some homes in Pingtung, where streets remained flooded.

Two naval vessels anchored in the northern port of Keelung were damaged when they were rammed by a cruise ship whose mooring cable snapped in strong winds.

Although Nesat was Taiwan's first typhoon this year, the island was pounded by heavy rains last month.

Nesat made landfall at Fuqing city in China's southeastern province of Fujian early Sunday, according to state media, with authorities issuing a red typhoon alert - the highest in China's colour-coded warning system.

Emergency response efforts have begun in neighbouring Zhejiang province, where more than 3 000 people have been evacuated, the China News Service reported.

Another typhoon, dubbed "Begonia", is expected to make landfall in Fujian either Sunday evening or Monday morning.

Read more on:    taiwan  |  weather

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.