Ask The Move Expert

By Faeza
06 July 2015

Thulani Qithi is our consumer champion expert. He has a certified credit consultant, specialising in credit rehabilitation. He holds a diploma in business management and sports law from the University of Johannesburg.

Question: Landlord ran off with my deposit

My landlord refuses to return my security deposit after I moved out of the unit that I was renting. I had signed a one-year lease with the property agency, and it has since ended. It’s been three months since I moved out, but it doesn’t look like I’ll get my refund back. What avenues should I pursue?


Answer; Approach the Small Claims

Court in order for you to get your money back. The sheriff of the court will send summons to your landlord to appear in court and explain why he hasn’t paid back the deposit. If the accused fails to appear in court, a judgment will be granted against him for the amount owed to you.

Do you have consumer related questions? Write a letter to Move!

Consumer Champion PO Box 784072, Sandton 2146. Email your questions to move@media24. com, or SMS your question to Move! / Consumer Champion on 33443*. *Each SMS costs R1.50. You do not have to use your real name.