Follow us on:

HELP: "He no longer pays maintenance"

By Faeza
09 September 2016

Anonymous from Taung writes:

I have a two-year-old son and I had obtained a maintenance order against his father. Two months ago, the father moved to the United Kingdom and he has not paid maintenance since he left South Africa. Is there a legal way I can enforce the maintenance order even if he is based overseas?

Yes, there is a way that the maintenance money can be claimed from him. You firstly

need to contact the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development and find out if South Africa has a Reciprocal Enforcement Agreement with the United Kingdom.

If it does, you need to send the following documents to the department in order for them

you with this process: four certified copies of the maintenance order, four

copies of the affidavit whereby you state your story and reasons why you need their assistance, copies of birth certificates of the child, a photo or description of the father, and physical and/or work address of the father in the UK. If you don’t have the address,

you need to hire the services of a tracer to locate the address. Once you have all these required documents, the Department of Justice will help you.