Follow us on:

Mothers attack each other in court

By Faeza
22 March 2016


Two mothers attacked each other in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, following the appearance of two boys accused of killing three of the one woman's relatives in Katlehong.

One family member said the altercation started after the mother of one of the accused was told that had she started a feud between her family and that of the victims.

"She is the one causing the drama. A mother isn't suppose to be acting like that," said one woman who did not want to be named.

The State requested a postponement in order to receive the indictment. This did not sit well with the mother of one of the accused and she started attacking the victims' mother, Thembi Letsoalo.

She pushed Letsoalo in the passage outside the court room. Their relatives tried to stop the fight. Once they were outside the court, the argument continued and Letsoalo threw water from a two-litre Coke bottle at the other woman.

Walking out of court with other family members, Letsoalo found it difficult to hold back her tears.

"I am not happy anymore, these things are upsetting me. My children are killed and she's fighting with me while her son is still alive," Letsoalo said.

Two of Letsoalo’s daughters, her niece, and six-month-old granddaughter were attacked - allegedly by two boys aged 17 and 21 - in her Katlehong home, on the East Rand, in December.

The two allegedly stabbed them and put them in a bathtub filled with boiling water. They may not be named as one of them is a minor and they are related.

One of the daughters, Nthabiseng Letsoalo, 23, survived. Her sister Lerato Letsoalo, 18, cousin Priska Movit, 23, and Movit’s six-month-old baby girl Bokamoso Movit, were killed.

On Tuesday, the State said the DNA results were available and the investigation had been completed. The tests were conducted on the bloodied clothing that the two accused allegedly wore on the day of the crime, as well as the knife used in the attack.

The two would be back in court on April 5. Both would stay in police custody. The minor was in a correctional centre for children in Soshanguve.

Letsoalo told News24 at the last court appearance that as long as the two boys were behind bars, the family felt safe.

Source: News24