It is all over Facebook and it is driving everyone insane. This morning it dawned on me how incredibly simple the solution to this problem is.
Facebook profiles are being cloned, but there is a very effective way to prevent this. The reason these unscrupulous people are cloning your account is so they can re-invite your friends to the new cloned profile and then start asking them money while impersonating you.
To prevent your account from being cloned you need to prevent people from seeing your friends list. This seems drastic, but if they cannot see your friends then they have no reason to clone your account as they cannot see your friends list to re-invite them.
Prevent access to your friends list as follows (you have to do this from a PC):
1. Go to your own profile on Facebook (click on your name at top left next to your profile pic)
2. Click on “Friends” tab just below your cover pic.
3. On the right-hand side, next to the “+ Find Friends” click on the Pen Icon (Edit)
4. Click on “Edit Privacy”
5. On the selection for “Who can see your friend list?” select “Only Me”
6. You could also select “Only Me” for “Who can see the people and lists you follow?” to make it even more secure.
7. Click “Close” and that is it!