1.1. Christians often assert that their fundamental proof for the existence of god is based on thesefour basic ideas:
- - Their personal relationship with god
- - The bible
- - The god’s acts and miracles and
- - the god frame of reference
Whilst we cannot prove whether the first point is true because it’s subjective and the opinion of the individual, let’s examine the second, third and fourth points.
2.1. The bible: contradictions, inconsistencies, absurdities and flaws
Christians refer to the bible as god’s holy word and it is the primary tool used by christians to support god’s existence. Well, let’s critically examine this book to evaluate whether there is any truth to this notion. If the bible was truly revealed to man by god and since god is perfect and all-knowing, the bible should be
- - without error, inconsistency, contradiction, flaw
- - be written in a coherent and lucid manner;
- - should be accurate and
- - contain advanced information that would not be known to primitive man
Comment on Bible verses that are contradictory, inconsistent, absurd and flawed
1. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:3- And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verses1:14-And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:15-And let them be for lights inthe firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:16-And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
Comment:Its common knowledge that the sun provides light, so the bible is incorrect because the light could only have been provided by the sun.In addition, the moon is not a light but merely reflects the sun’s light. Stars, although not visible with the naked eye, shine during the day and not only at night as stated in the bible. The bible is therefore wholly incorrect with respect to the sun, moon and stars. The bible only covers the creation of the sun, earth, moon and stars whilst nothing is mentioned about the other planets, galaxies or the universe. In addition, the bible states that god created the sun, moon and stars (i.e. past tense) when science has proven that the universe is currently growing therefore more planetary bodies are being created.
2. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:26-And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:27- So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:28-And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 5:2-Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their nameAdam, in the day when they were created.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 2:7- And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, andbreathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 2:21- And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
Old Testament, Book of genesis,Verse 2:22-And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
Comment:The bible is contradictory on whether adam and eve was created together or separately otherwise the creation of adam and eve occurs multiple times in book: once in Verse 2:7 where adam is created and Verse 2:21-2:22 where eve is created and Verses 1:26 where both are created simultaneously and Verse 5:2 where they are created again. In verse 5:2 the author forgets that the female is called eve and states that both i.e. male and female are called adam.
3. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 2:16- And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 2:17-But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 5:5-And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
Comment:Despite eating from the tree of knowledge adam lived till the ripe age of nine hundred and thirty years. The threat of immediate to adam and eve death was therefore without substance. Since god is all knowing, he should have known that adam and eve would consume from the forbidden fruit.
4. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 3:9- And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
Old Testament, Proverbs, Verse 15:3- The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
Comment:The flaw lies in god’s request that adam and eve reveal themselves when he is supposed to be an all-knowing god, from whom nothing is hidden.
5. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 3:16- Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
Comment:The purpose of this verse is to explain why women endure pain during childbirth. Medical advancement has eased the burden women ordinarily would have had to bear during childbirth. For all intents and purposes this biblical threat has been made redundant. Oh, and how convenient is it that the ends with the following phrase: “and he shall rule over thee” because that is exactly how society has been structured.
6. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 3:17- And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 3:18- Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 3:19-In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
Comment:The purpose of the verse to explain what happens to the body once we die i.e. the decomposition of the body. The fatal flaw is that the bible is scientifically incorrect as the body does not turn to dust but rather decomposes.
The second fatal flaw is that fossilised bones have been found proving that the entire body does not decompose. The third fatal flaw is that god only punished adam i.e. the male species to decompose when the reality is that women decompose as well.
7. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:24- And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 2:19- And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
Comment:Having just created animals and fowls to fill the earth which does not include the garden of eden, god then creates animals and fowl again in eden. Does this mean that the animals and fowls created in eden is of the same kind as the animals and fowls created in eden or are they different species?
8. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:24- And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
Comment:The existence of dinosaurs, which were proven to exist way before homo-sapiens evolved, is not mentioned in the bible
9. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 1:31- And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 6:6- And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 6:7- And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Comment:God is supposedly an all-powerful and all-knowing entity who then creates man and beast and is then displeased with his creation. Surely what he creates should be perfect and without fault. Therefore since man and beast is not perfect, they could not have been made by the hands of god.
10. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 2:20- And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
Comment:According to the bible adam was allowed to name the animals. The bible fails to provide the names of the animals. Also, adam only names the beasts and fowl that god created in the garden of eden.
11. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 2:17- But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 3:5- For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
New Testament, Hebrews, Verse 5:14- But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses
exercised to discern both good and evil.
Comment:In the old testament it was not good to want to have discern between good and evil and the new testament it is immature to not want to discern between good and evil. This is evidence that biblical rules changes as cultures change and advance. This is a religious flaw since god is omniscient and any rules originally made by him should have been able to stand the test of time and not be changeable.
12. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 4:16- And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 4:17- And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 4:18- And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 4:19- And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
Comment:There is no mention in the bible that god made other people yet Cain, Enoch and Lamech were able to find wives. The bible is arrogantly quiet on this topic i.e. you are expected to accept this omission and the story of creation and not question its validity.
13. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 4:9- And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 4:10-And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
Old Testament, Proverbs,Verse 15:3- The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
Comment:God asks cain what he has done to his brother as if he requires confirmation from cain that he killed his brother. Again, god is claimed to be able to see everything, so why does he not know where abel is and asks cain to tell him.
14. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 6:4- There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
Old Testament, Book of genesis,Verse 7:21- And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
Old Testament, Numbers, Verse 13:33- And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.
Comment: According to genesis giants inhabited the earth but were killed in the flood. In the book of numbers reference is again made to giants so the inconsistency is that the giants should have been wiped out with the flood, yet are mentioned in the book of numbers which follows genesis.
15. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 6:7- And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Comment:god, who is supposed to be omniscient, displays grief and repentance which are human emotions. Surely such emotion is not what is expected from an enlightened supernatural being. God is portrayed more as a human than a divine entity.
16. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 6:9- These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 12:7- And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 17:1- And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 18:1- And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 33:20- And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
New Testament, John, Verse 1:18- No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared (him).
New Testament, 1 John, Verse 4:12- No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
Comment:The verses are contradictory as to whether man can see god or not.
In the old testament god appears before noah and abram, yet in the new testament, 1 John, Verse 4:12 it states that No man hath seen God at any time.The lack of consistency is further evidence that the bible was written by humans who vastly differ on their understanding of god and the way he is to be portrayed.
17. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 7:2- Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 7:15- And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
Comment:The inconsistency lies in the fact that in verse 7:2, for clean beasts 7 must be brought aboard and the unclean beasts in 2s yet in verse 7:15 it states that all living things entered the ark in 2s and no distinction is made between clean and uncleans beasts.
18. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 7:7- And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 7:13- In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah’s wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
Comment:Noah and family enters the ark in verse 7:7 and again in 7:13
19. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 6:19- And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 6:21 And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 7:24-And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.
Comment:There is no way that noah was able to bring along food requirements for his family and the animals to last them for 5 months (roughly 150 days). In any event if he did, there is no way the food could have remained safe to consume for the duration of 150 days. In addition, what kind of food was taken on board to cater for the carnivores?
20. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 8:4- And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 8:5- And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen.
Comment: Further to the 5 months (150 days) as indicated in verse 7:24, the ark rested on the mountain for another 3 months (7th month to the 10th month).That makes the total period that the occupants remained in the ark 8 months. So the point is again relevant, where and how was the food stored to feed the occupants for 8 months? In addition, how was the food stored to prevent spoilage and remain fit for consumption?
21. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 7:12- And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.
Old Testament Book of genesis, Verse 7:13, In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah’s wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
Old Testament Book of genesis,Verse 7:14- They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
Old Testament Book of genesis, Verse 7:15- And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
Old Testament Book of genesis, Verse 7:16- And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in.
Old Testament Book of genesis, Verse 7:17- And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
Comment: The sequence of the verses is totally out. In verse 7:12 it is stated that it rains for forty days and forty nights. Yet the occupants of the ark enters the ark in verse 7:13 and god shuts the ark door in verse 7:16. In verse 7:17 it is stated that it rains for 40 days. So, did it rain before they entered the ark or whilst they were aboard the ark?
22. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse7:17- And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
Old Testament Book of genesis, Verse 7:24- And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.
Old Testament Book of genesis, Verse 8:3- And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.
Old Testament Book of genesis, Verse 8:6- And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made:
Comment: The inconsistency lies in what is being stated the different verses: Verse 7:17 it rains for 40 days, Verse 8:6 noah opens the window at the end of forty days yet in verses 7:24 and 8:3, both which precedes verse 8:6, it is stated that the water prevailed for 150 days.
23. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 8:20- And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar
Comment:According to the story of the ark, noah took upon it 2 of each kind of living beast and fowl that being male and female.There is no mention of the beasts and fowls breeding and then noah goes on to burn, as offering, one of each kind of beast and fowl which by deductive reasoning he is left with only one of each kind of beast and fowl. So the question begs, how did the beasts and fowls populate the earth if there was only one of each left.In addition god is supposed to be a spiritual deity, and yet he smells the burnt offering and finds it to be a sweet savour.
24. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 11:9- Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
New Testament, 1 Corinthians, Verse 14:33- For God is not [the author] of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
Comment:At the tower of babel, god confounds the languages of the world. This contradictory to verse 14:33 of 1 Corinthians which states that god is not the author (creator) of confusion.
25. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 10:5- By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; everyone after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 11:1- And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
Comment: Verse 10:5 there were many languages before the tower of babel, verse 11:1 contradicts this and states there was only one language before the tower of babel
26. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 17:11- And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 17:12- And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.
New Testament, Galatians, Verse 6:15- For in Christ Jesus neither
circumcisionavailethany thing, nor uncircumcision, but anew creature
Comment:The inconsistency lies in the following verses which contradicts each other:Verse 17:11 and 17:12 The covenant of circumcision is important, whilst verse 6:15, NT Galatians, states that it is of no consequence.
27. New Testament, Luke, Verse 1:37-For with God nothing shall be impossible.
Old Testament, Judges, Verse 1:19- And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
Comment: Whilst is it claimed that god is all powerful, verse 1:19 of judges states that god is unable to drive the inhabitants because they had chariots of iron
28. Old Testament, Exodus, Verse 20:4-Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Old Testament, Exodus, Verse 25:18- And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shaltthou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat.
Old Testament, Exodus, Verse 25:19- And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof.
Comment: In verse 20:4, statues (graven images) are not allowed, in verse 25:18 it is allowed
29. Old Testament, Exodus, Verse 20:5- Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Old Testament, Numbers, Verse 14:18- The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.
Old Testament, Deuteronomy, Verse 24:16- The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
Old Testament, Ezekiel, Verse 18:19- Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.
Old Testament, Ezekiel, Verse 18:20- The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
Comment: Whilst according to exodus and numbers, children are to suffer for their father’s sins, according to Deuteronomy and Ezekiel they do not.
30. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 3:14- And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of thefield; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
Comment:So the serpent is satan, god commands the serpent to eat dust for the rest of its life, however satan does not remain in the form of a serpent.
31. Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 9:12- And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 9:13- I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 9:14- And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
Old Testament, Book of genesis, Verse 9:15- And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
Comment: The implication is that before the flood, rainbows did not exist since god created them. However the physical creation of rainbows is due to light refracting against the water vapour and the conditions to create the rainbow exists in nature since clouds (water vapour) and sunlight which was present before the flood. The purpose of this verse was to create an explanation for the existence of rainbows.
2.2. Proof that god is not all powerful and perfect
The fact that man is fallible is proof that god is not all powerful since his assumed limitless ability means that what he created should have been perfect in all aspects.
God displays pleasure, anger, disappointment, regret and other human emotions. God destroys mankind and beast, with exception of the ark’s occupants, with the great flood and was driven by anger. How can an all perfect spiritual being display humancharacteristics and still be regarded as the enlightened deity it is purported to be?
The assigned human attributes to god serves as the proof that god was created by humans according to how humans perceived themselves and is therefore a figment of man’s imagination. More specifically the male father figure attributes assigned to god clearly demonstrates that god was designed around the male father figure.
Furthermore god is portrayed as having human attributes whilst simultaneously is given non-human attributes. The concept of god is therefore materially flawed since he is described as a supreme deity whilst simultaneously possession human attributes. Such a weak godly design can only be the creation of humans.
2.3. Information that science has proven that is not covered or incorrectly covered in the bible:
Note: This section further proves that the bible was written by man and not inspired by some imaginary deity.
1) The existence of dna and genes which ultimately is the blue print of life
2) The existence of atoms and molecules and the chemistry interactions as well as other physical forces they exhibit
3) The existence of microscopic organisms including bacteria and viruses. Note the bibles only mentions beasts and fowls that god created
4) The bible asserts that illness is caused by the devil and other evil spirits when science has proven that illness are caused by viruses, bacteria and lifestyle choices
5) Evolution which continues today. Evolution is merely the evolving or changing by an organism to better adapt to its environment. The flu virus is a good example since it continually evolves and forms new strains. Hiv is another good example since it has not always been around and researchers are challenged to produce an anti-virus because it too continually changes its surface proteins. Drug resistant TB and extreme drug resistant TB are also good examples of evolution since the TB germ successfully counteracted the drugs used to kill it by developing resistance to those drugs. Proof of evolution is also evident in the variety in the animal and the plant kingdoms that has formed over hundreds of years.
6) The age of the earth is determined to be billions of years old, as opposed to the 12000 / 6000 years that creationists believe.
7) The bible does not even mention that the sun has a limited lifespan and that it too will eventually die out as it runs out of fuel.
8) According to the bible, the sky is blue when in actual fact the colour of the sky is a reflection of the ocean. The sky itself has no colour.
9) Much through biblical times it was though that the sun rotates around the earth, when in actual fact the solar system is helio-centric: i.e. the earth rotates around the sun
10) It was also believed that the earth was flat. Science has obviously proved that this is not the case.
2.4. Summary about the bible
There is nothing divine or awe-inspiring about the bible. The bible is nothing but a collection of badly written stories that has been combined and declared to be the word of god. Yes, it contains a good number of universals truths but that's the extent of its usefulness.
The list of flaws discussed in paragraph2.1. is by no means conclusive, there are many more flaw, errors, inconsistencies and contradictions. If god supposedly inspired man to write the bible, why are there so many flaws, errors, inconsistency and contradictions throughout the book? By deductive reasoning it can be only concluded that thebible with its flaws, errors, inconsistencies and shortcomings, is exactly the kind of book that is expected to be produced by primitive humans in an effort to provide an explanation to the questions that they could not have known the answers to, such as:
- Why and how was the universe created?
- Why and how was life created?
- Why is man the most intelligent of all the
- What is the meaning and purpose of the life?
The portrayal of god is not even consistent throughout the bible itself. The old testament portrays a vindictive, angry, vengeful deity to whom sacrifices and offerings are brought. A god who actually comes down from heaven and walks on earth i.e. he is given further human attributes. The new testament's god is more caring, loving and forgiving. This god cannot be seen and does not accept offerings and sacrifices but sends his son to become one. This presents us with another flaw within the bible since the bible states, as a contradiction to the afore-mentioned, that god is constant and does not change.
The new testament was written nearly a century after the assumed life of jesus, yet there is no historical record of him. Rather than being an actual account of the life of jesus, the new testament was written to corroborate the fore telling of jesus as it was written in the old testament. This is why the story of jesus aligns perfectly with the old testament. There is no historical record of jesus because he was a, plagiarised, fictional character and a fusion of mythology and the old testament.Plagiarism occurs in the bible as well. The comparison of the stories between joseph in the old testament and jesus in the new testament reveals, amongst others, the following similarities:
miracle birth - miracle birth
had 12 brothers - had 12 disciples
began work at age of 30 -began work at age of 30
betrayed by brother judah -betrayed by disciple judas
sold for 20 pieces of silver -sold for 30 pieces of silver
- interpreted dreams - interpreted god’s word
Just because the bible has been adopted as the word of god, does it mean that we have to accept as such. In fact, were the bible the word of god, the standard at which it is written does not support this idea as the bible is fallible, weak and is full of contradictions and inconsistencies.
The origins of christianity itself is not original since it’s a fusion of judaism, Egyptian beliefs, pagan beliefs and influences from other religious belief systems which further illustrates the point that it cannot be concluded to be god's word.
3. The acts, miracles and the godframe of reference
3.1. acts and miracles
The first reference to the miracles of god, as claimed by religions, is the existence of life. Just because the physical world exists, does not necessarily imply that god created it. In fact, the universe is continuing to grow and expand; do creationists therefore believe that god is currently creating more of the universe?
Christians also argue that god continuously performs miracles these days, but I put it to you, dear reader, that modern medicine and the application of technology, actually saves more lives than faith and prayer which are instruments used by religious folk to request god’s divine intervention.
Whilst religious folks are convinced of god’s supernatural powers this cannot be proven in the real world since god cannot do the following: make the physically and mentally disabled persons normal, re-grow lost limbs, heal blindness and deafness, stopcatholic priests from molesting boys and a multitude of other examples. Yes religion offers emotional solace for those who need it but other than that, it has no tangible effect in the real world.
3.2. frame of reference
The following expressions are often used by religious folk:
In response to a positive event: "god is good to me" or “I'm so blessed to have god in my life" and in response to a negative event: "god has something better planned for me" or "When god closes one door, he opens another". Whilst the response to a positive event is an expression of positive feelings, the negative response is often used to console and comfort the believer.
The rationale used above neither proves the existence nor the absence of god since life presents us with positive and negative events that occur whether you practice religion or not. The fact of the matter is that life does not operate in a religious framework, but religious-orientated folk choose to view life as if it does.
The fact that it cannot be relied upon that only good things will happen to those who are sincere and dedicated worshippers is again proof of the absence of god. For if god is the loving and caring deity as portrayed in the new testament, then he would certainly ensure that his worshippers are cared for, do not suffer and are not over-burdened. For what's the purpose of being a committed practising believer when you cannot request favour and mercy from your god and he displays indifference to your existence.
4. Logical questions that cannot be answered by religion:
1. According to the bible: god so loved the world that he sent his only son, yet god did, and currently does nothing, to eradicate human suffering, human-inflicted suffering, abuse, slavery, wars, etc.
2. At what point did god stop speaking from the clouds to mankind. With the exclusion of religious orientated folk who are deliriously convinced that god speaks to them, there is no physical proof.
3. According to christianity, once jesus returns he will reign forever. What is the logical purpose of forever? In any event, the sun will eventually die out and implode and destroy the planets along with it, would heaven be moved when that happens?
4. The figment of heaven and hell: According to Christianity, those who are accepted to heaven will worship god for eternity and those who do not make the grade will be sent to hell to burn forever. Seriously, how can people actually believe that we will exist in that state for eternity i.e. there will be no end.Even the universe is destined to end someday, so how could heaven and hell exist forever?
5. There approximately 20 religions practiced on earth today and christianityalone has over 40 0000 sects.The inference that can be drawn is that religion has been crafted by humans, driven by their desire to express their spirituality and to account for the inexplicable. Whilst spirituality is a universal trait amongst humans, religion developed regionally which explains why there are so religions and why they have such differing views and practices.
6. Mitochondria are cellular organelles within eukaryotic cells that is the power-house of the cell i.e. it converts chemical energy from food into a usable form. As a cellular organelle, mitochondrial should not have its own genetic material since it’s a component of a cell and cells have nucleic dna. The scientific explanation that it does have its dna is that it was once a separate entity and its dna was required for survival purposes. Somewhere along the evolutionary line, mitochondria became engulfed in eukaryotic cells for symbiotic reasons and it maintained its dna. The fact of the matter is that if god created cells, there was no reason for him to create mitochondrial dna since its purpose has become obsolete. However, the fact that mitochondrial dna exists is further proof that life on earth developed through evolutionary processes rather than being created.
7. So we assume that when god made beasts (animals), he made them to where they are indigenous to in present day. The bible states that adam named all animals, the assumption therefore is that all the animals made by god had to be in close proximity to adam, even the indigenous ones. So how did the indigenous animals eventually end up in the countries and continents we know them to be from?
In the same reasoning as the previous paragraph, when the animals boarded the ark, how did the indigenous animals get to the ark? E.g. Polar bears, kangaroos, panda bears, etc. Did godmove the animals to the countries where they eventually became indigenous? These questions, which cannot be answered by religion, further supports the fact that creation, as per the bible, did not occur.
5. Summary about religion
It must be borne in mind that christianity was more than just a religion during biblical times, the church also operated the political, legal, and educational systems of the day. Religion was also used as a reference to matters concerning philosophy, psychology, science, medicine (through faith healing) and others.In biblical days the sufferers of following conditions: epilepsy, migraines, psychological disorders would have been considered to have been possessed by demons, evil spirits or the devil. Modern medicine has managed to identify the root causes of these conditions and is able to provide treatment.
Modern society has replaced the legal and the political systems and religion is redundant on these matters. Religion is no more the authority on fields such as science, medicine, philosophy, psychology because breakthroughs and advancements in these areas have shown the bible to be incorrect and outdated.
However, to keep religious folk in check they are demanded to accept their religious persuasion with blind faith and told not to question the authenticity thereof. But had civilisation not pushed the boundaries on medicine vs faith-healing, scientific and technological advancement, pushing intellectual boundaries, adopted the modern legal and political systems, our civilisation would have remained in the dark ages.
Christianity and other mono-theistic belief systems are basically the progression of primitive day poly-theistic religions and idol-worshipping, with the attributes of the multiple gods being assigned to one god e.g. the old testament god even accepting and ordering sacrifices and offerings. In the very same manner, the new testament is an improvement on the old testament. In any event, christianity is really not mono-theistic since there are 3 deities.
In summary, it therefore stands to reason that religious teachings in all its forms are outdated on the topic of spirituality. Religions have served their purpose and it’s time for the human population to discard their outdated teachings and practices as they are holding back social advancement.
1. The bible, new and old testament, king james version
2. Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations
4. Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA