Being a full hearted Capetonian, I take a great deal of pride and concern what is happening in our mother city, I would just like to remind us all of what we have. But the last few days I haven’t been able to see straight, let alone think at all. So excuse me if you find this dribble. The Heat is really getting us by the you know where......
Last recorded population was at 3.5 million in 2007. Divided into groups of 44% Coloured, 34.9% Black, 19.3% White and 1.8% Indian or Asian. I can however say the 1.8% Asian or Indian population has had a boom since 2007 by the looks of it now. Never the less, you can see that this is a very diverse province and very rich in multi cultures of our beautiful nation. Most breath taking places that even after living here almost all of my life, I still stand in “awe” when showing family and friends around the Cape.
First stop, Bloubergstrand or as some would write it Blaauwbergstrand. Having the sun rise in the east over the Swartland Mountains and breaking sunlight onto Table Mountain. If you really need to see the sun rise you would need to be there at about 5:30 for the latest, maybe take a jog. As for the rest of us we usually just go to a nice restaurant and settle in for breakies at about 10 o`clock. This is after all the place where the sun only sets at 8 o`clock in the evening during summer. Then the discussion starts to what you feel like doing today. Endless decisions to choose from. Here are a few for those who are planning their next summer holiday to make a turn.
1. Go up Table Mountain – (Tip) Go on the My Mother City Tour Bus, there is an option where you get to jump the lines when you stop at certain stops and need to enter.
2. Go shopping; there are so many malls, V&A Waterfront, Canal Walk, Tygervalley, N1 City, Cape Gate, and ECT.
3. Two oceans Marine Aquarium – (Tip) Go on the My Mother City Tour Bus, there is an option where you get to jump the lines when you stop at certain stops and need to enter.
4. Ratanga Junction – (Tip) Take loads of sun block and water, this will be a hot and bothered day.
5. Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens – Is part of the My Mother City tour bus but can be easily enjoyed on its own.
6. Wine Tasting – (Tip) You don’t need to go as far as Stellenbosch or Paarl, there are great wine tasting routes within 40km`s of the CBD stretching from Constantia throughout to Durbanville.
7. Skydiving – Must do it at least once in your life.
8. Boat Cruises, no not luxury liners, but various trips available. Hotspots to look for them, V&A Waterfront and Houtbay.
9. Lions Head – Don`t have the energy to hike out Table Mountain, this is 10 fold easier and is just as amazing.
10. Drive – where ever you drive will be just as great, I suggest you try and drive The Cape Argus Pick n Pay cycle tour trip. Starting in the CBD to Cape Point and then around the mountain back to Green Point Stadium.
Wow and these aren’t even the hidden secrets of Cape Town. So once you have completed your “Day” you still have the evening to plan ahead. Again, there is no limit. Sun downers at Clifton, Sea Point, The Waterfront, Blue Peter, Melkbos, Kalkbay, and on and on we can go.
For night entertainment I would suggest getting a Taxi (Riki) to drive you around, if you decide to go clubbing or just diner. Make a turn on Signal Hill to see the City lights as far as the eye can see. Or simply have a braai, but outside under the stars is the only option I would suggest. Speak to the locals, everyone here has an opinion about something or the other or just suggestions to what you should do the next day. Hidden secrets for you are wondering, well this isn`t exactly the family joint venture if you know what I mean. There are several quarries on Table Mountain Road, what you do with that info I will not take any responsibility. Loop Street, they don’t call it Loop street for nothing. Camps Bay beach front (Camps Bay strip) enough said. Kalk Bay beach Front, the Best and tastiest Restuarants if you want to impress. Wind Surfing, Kite surfing and Paragliding for the sporty team, Helicopter rides, so many companies to choose from. O sorry, that wasn`t really secrets, I guess you just going to have to come down and find out for yourself then J.