"One person passed away last night as a result of injuries. It was a female individual. She passed away after she was taken to hospital," said city spokesperson Kylie Hatton.
It is believed that the woman passed away at Christiaan Barnard Memorial Hospital in the city bowl.
Nineteen people have been left injured by the accident with 12 requiring hospitalisation.
Hatton said the site has been secured for an investigation by the police.
She said the city and event organisers will co-operate with the investigation.
The temporary structure was a "branding activation" and located next to the stadium forecourt on the Cape Town CBD side of the venue.
The structure had been pre-approved and certified as safe before the event.
The concert went ahead as officials secured the affected area.
Early on Thursday morning, concert organisers, Big Concerts, put a post on their Facebook wall expressing their sympathies and condolences to the injured persons and the family of the dead woman.
“We would like to thank the City of Cape Town, the South African Police Services, and all the medics, doctors, and disaster risk personnel for their swift and professional response to this accident,” it said.