Tzaneen – At least 12 people had to be hospitalised after inhaling ammonia at an avocado packing house in Politsi, just outside of Tzaneen in Limpopo, on Thursday, paramedics said.
ER24 spokesperson Annine Dormehl said paramedics had arrived at the packing house and found three workers lying on the ground.
The rest of the workers were being evacuated from the building.
"It is believed that there was an ammonia leakage during the night and when the workers arrived this morning, they had difficulty breathing. Eight patients were given oxygen by ER24 and then transported to hospital."
Dormehl said about four other people were treated by other emergency services and transported to nearby hospitals in the area.