Adam Woest's version of events

Cape Town - This is an edited statement made by Adam Roy Woest who appeared in court on Wednesday at the opening of the Sizzlers murder trial on Wednesday.

Adam Roy Woest is the co-accused in the Sizzlers murder trial in which 9 people were killed.

At some point after moving to Cape Town in 1999, I started to work at a restaurant called Walter's grill in Main Road, Sea Point. While working there I befriended a person by the name of Cobus/David.

Cobus/David worked as a male escort at Sizzlers.

In the middle of 2002, Cobus/David came to Walter's Grill clearly upset because he had been fired from his job.

During the course of the evening he got somewhat intoxicated, and amongst other things told me that large amounts of cash were kept on the premises at Sizzlers.

Sitting next to us was Trevor Theys. Because David/Cobus, was speaking so loud, Trevor Theys was able to hear what he was saying.

Trevor Theys was my friend.

At some point, I stopped working for Walter's Grill and went back to George. During October 2002, I came back to Cape Town.

Some weeks after my return, I got a job as a waiter at Q4 Restaurant at the Waterfront.

As friends, Trevor Theys and I used to go out together often.

I remember once after the Sizzlers' conversation at Walter's Grill Trevor Theys telling me that he would not mind getting his hands on the Sizzlers' money. I initially took it to be a joke.

On the morning of January 19, 2003 (about 08:00) I received an SMS from Trevor Theys who wanted to know where I was.

I told him that I had just arrived home from work, and invited him over for a cup of coffee. He came after about 10 minutes later.

While having coffee, Trevor Theys told me that he wanted us to go rob Sizzlers.

Again, I thought he was joking. He started to be serious.

About 30 minutes after his arrival, he took out a pistol.

Theyns said this was the pistol I was going to use during the robbery. I have no experience with firearms, therefore can't say which caliber it was.

I told Trevor Theys that I did not want to do this. He then reminded me of my fiancé's car accident. Adele, her name, had been previously hit by a car. I interpreted this to be a threat.

I needed to go to the Waterfront, and at about 11:00 Trevor Theys dropped me off there, reminding me to get gloves. I bought these from a chemist at the Waterfront.

Trevor Theys wanted us to rob the place that evening, but I had other plans. On the evening of January 19, 2003, my friends and I went clubbing at La Med.

Trevor Theys phoned me sometime in the evening to know where I was. I told him and he came to fetch me. We then went to my flat.

Trevor Theys had brought with him 2 firearms and 2 beanies. I had, in my flat the gloves and a tape. Trevor Theys ordered me to bring along a rope and a knife.

I reminded Trevor Theys, again, that I did not want to do this. We finally left my flat.

While on our way to Sizzlers, we stopped in Main Road, Sea Point, at a public phone to make a call to Sizzlers. We wanted to make a booking.

I made the phone call, and I was asked what my preference was. I said I'd prefer a blonde. If my memory serves me correct, we made the booking for 24:00.

We then went to a petrol station, where Trevor Theys instructed me to fill a 2 litre plastic bottle with petrol.

After the garage we went to park the car at Marias Road. While still in the car, we put on our gloves. It was at this point that Trevor Theys handed me the gun.

We walked to Sizzlers. I was carrying the 2 litre bottle, but left it by the security gate before going in.

To the best of my knowledge we were met at the door by the person reflected in the photo album (referring to the police's album of the deceased). We were taken to Studio 3.

While in the room, we were asked if we preferred a blond and if this blonde will attend to both of us. I said "yes".

The person thereafter left. Upon hearing his footsteps, we took out the firearms. The person reflected in the photo album entered Studio 3.

Trevor Theys told the person that it was a robbery, and that as long as everyone co-operated, nobody will get hurt.

While holding this person up, we made our way to the other room.

Mr Otgaar was brought in from the room immediately opposite the room we were in before. We asked where the money was kept, and the person I perceived to be the manager, showed us and opened the safe. He handed me a bundle of money. It was not more than R2 000.

At this point Trevor Theys, instructed me to help him tie our hostages.

I gave the rope to one of the persons, I cannot remember who, to do it but Trevor Theys was not happy. He then instructed me to do it personally.

Afterwards, Trevor Theys ensured that the rope was tight. He said we must stab them to show them that we meant business. He thought they were hiding some money from us.

To the best of my knowledge I cut Aubrey John Otgaar, Warren Robert Visser and Quinton Taylor with the knife.

While stabbing Mr Otgaar, he tried to fight us off. Theys kicked Otgaar, who then fell to the ground. Theys stabbed him.

After this, I left the room and started searching other rooms. Some of the doors were locked.

I went back to where Theys and the rest of the captives were, at which point Trevor Theys told me to pour petrol over Sizzlers' employees.

I did and they started screaming and crying.

At this point, one of the doors opened and a guy with a towel around his body got out running. I belief that person was Sergio De Castro.

Trevor Theys went after him. I followed and entered the room immediately adjacent and found Mr De Castro lying naked on the floor.

I then went into another room and found another person, not known to me at the time (Mr Gregorey Seymour Berghaus) sitting on the bed.

As one of our captives had asked for a juice, I went to the kitchen to get some juice. While I was in the kitchen, someone attacked me from behind (it was Mr Berghaus).

I did not have a firearm with me, but Trevor Theys came to my assistance. He pulled Berghaus from me.

Theys hit Mr Berghaus with his gun on the head.

During the scuffle, that ensued between them, they moved from the kitchen to the bathroom.

At that point shots were fired and I don't know whether it was intentional or by accident.

As I was walking out of the kitchen, Theys gave me back my firearm. We then went to the corridor, back to the room where the remaining people were.

By the doorway of the room they were in De Castro was lying on the floor. Theys pushed me into the room.

I realised that Mr De Castro had bee shot.

Without any warning Trevor Theys started shooting our hostages from the left.

I started shooting from the right. And as I recall, I shot Aubrey John Otgaar, Warren Visser and Quinton Taylor.

After this, we exited the premises.

I was then arrested. Subsequent to my arrest, I made a confession. I even pointed out evidence and attended an ID parade.

Although I asked to speak to an attorney before making of the confession (and the pointing out) I was told by the police that it is better to make the confession and pointing out first before speaking to a lawyer. However, I do not contest the admissibility of my confession.

Although I cannot erase what happened on the night of January 19/20 2003, I apologise for my actions.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
Voting Booth
When a Covid-19 vaccine for under 16's becomes available, will you be taking your children to get it?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Yes, immediately!
38% - 4095 votes
I'll wait to see how others respond
26% - 2787 votes
No, I don't think they need it
36% - 3933 votes
Brent Crude
All Share
Top 40
Financial 15
Industrial 25
Resource 10
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo