Charges dropped against two Gupta accused

Johannesburg - All charges against Lieutenant Colonel Stephan van Zyl and Lieutenant Colonel Christine Anderson have been withdrawn, the SA National Defence Union said on Tuesday.

"The military prosecuting authorities have today informed the attorneys of indicted Air Force officers in the 'Guptagate' matter, that all charges are forthwith withdrawn and, therefore, no prosecution will commence against them," national secretary Pikkie Greeff said in a statement.

Anderson and Van Zyl were accused of being involved in the landing of a private jet carrying guests to a wedding for wealthy business family the Guptas, at the Waterkloof Air Force base in Tshwane.

"Sandu confirms that both officers have already provided instructions to the Sandu legal team to immediately institute civil law suits against all the state organs which were involved in implicating them."

The legal team had earlier on Tuesday "demanded" that Van Zyl be reinstated.

The SA National Defence Force was not immediately available for comment.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Rand - Dollar
15.46
-0.5%
Rand - Pound
21.09
-0.5%
Rand - Euro
17.62
-0.4%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.12
-0.3%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.3%
Gold
1,815.72
-0.2%
Silver
22.94
-0.4%
Palladium
1,882.00
+0.2%
Platinum
972.00
-0.5%
Brent Crude
86.48
+0.5%
Top 40
68,567
-0.5%
All Share
75,287
-0.4%
Resource 10
74,615
-0.1%
Industrial 25
94,900
-0.7%
Financial 15
15,422
-0.5%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE