Durban - No arrests have been made in the wake of the fatal stabbing of a 19-year-old man at the Durban Day music festival on Sunday.
KwaZulu-Natal police have said the incident, which mired the popular event at the Moses Mabhida Stadium People's Park as it was coming to an end, was receiving their full attention.
It has emerged the Newlands East teenager had been chased by a group of men before being tackled and stabbed in the chest.
Police spokesperson Colonel Jay Naicker said the motive for the killing was not yet clear.
“A case of murder was opened at Durban Central SAPS for investigation,” he said.
An event official, who spoke to News24 on condition of anonymity, said he had been searching for a lost child when he saw a commotion.
“We were all out looking for a girl who had gone missing and I saw [the deceased] throwing a bin at some guys and then running.
“They chased him down and tackled him and then throngs of people moved around them, so I didn’t see what happened. When everyone moved off I saw him lying there with blood all over the place and it looked like he was already dead,” he said.
East Coast Radio general manager Boni Mchunu said the radio station wanted to offer its condolences to the family.
"There is no easy way to accept the loss of a human life and I think we are both heartbroken and shocked at this incident,” she said.
Responding to social media speculation that there was overcrowding at the event, Mchunu said the venue was not overcrowded. The city and the safety officer determined the capacity of the People's Park and the organisers were guided by that. While the capacity was 18 000, ticket sales had been capped at 16 500.
“A lot of people are involved in an event of this size. This is why we involved the city, safety officers, who’ve worked on some of the big events in the country, and our team. We are obsessive about safety from a resource point of view; everything was taken care of,” Mchunu said.