Mend claims attack on Agip oil facility

Nairobi - A Nigerian militant group has claimed responsibility for an attack on an Agip facility in the oil-producing Niger Delta, calling it the start of a new concerted campaign of sabotage targeting the oil industry.

"The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) hereby confirm that the attack on the Agip Clough Creek oil flow station in the late hours of Tuesday the 15th of March 2011 was carried out by our fighters," Mend spokesperson Jomo Gbomo said in an emailed statement.

"This attack is to mark the start of our promised campaign against the Nigerian oil industry," he added.

"This attack and similar attacks on pipelines and flows stations which will take place within the next few days is a reminder to the Nigerian government and the general public not to take our threats for granted."

However, army sources said the attack was actually carried out by local youths and Mend was simply attempting to take the credit.

Gbomo on Monday warned that Mend was set to begin a new campaign of bomb attacks against oil installations and political gatherings ahead of elections scheduled for April.

Mend previously conducted a long-running campaign of sabotage, claiming to be fighting for a more equitable distribution of wealth in the impoverished oil-producing Niger Delta.

Elections

The group's activities slashed Nigeria's oil output by around a quarter until an amnesty for militants in late 2009 brought about a lull in attacks.

However, Mend in 2010 began to ramp up its efforts again, claiming over a dozen lives in car-bomb attacks at a parade celebrating Nigeria's independence in October.

Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer, is due to go to the polls on April 09 to elect a new president, with incumbent Goodluck Jonathan the favourite to win.

A concerted campaign of sabotage could undermine Jonathan, who is from the Niger Delta and was seen as having a chance of ending the conflict when he took over from the late Umaru Yar'Adua mid-2010.

There have been questions over the credibility of Mend claims in recent months, with the group changing email addresses several times, accusing other parties of sending out false warnings and claims in the name of the organisations.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Should the red carpet portion of SONA be scrapped this year?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, it's inappropriate given the state of the country
93% - 3091 votes
No, it's part of the tradition
7% - 224 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.69
-0.7%
Rand - Pound
21.37
-0.9%
Rand - Euro
18.98
-0.7%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.31
-0.7%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.5%
Platinum
980.75
-0.6%
Palladium
1,657.09
+0.2%
Gold
1,876.50
+0.2%
Silver
22.41
+1.0%
Brent Crude
83.69
+3.2%
Top 40
73,885
+0.6%
All Share
79,889
+0.5%
Resource 10
74,647
+0.1%
Industrial 25
103,718
+1.0%
Financial 15
16,331
-0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE