Murder-accused men claim cop brutality

Mahikeng - Three men accused of shooting dead an Mpumalanga mineworker three years ago were assaulted by police, the Nelspruit Circuit of the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria heard on Monday.

Isaac Sebokuboku Phala, 29, Calvin Tjatjie, 24, and Tshepo Seloane, 24, pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, armed robbery with aggravating circumstances and possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition when they appeared in court, a Sapa correspondent reported.

They are accused of murdering Madingwana Max Matlou, 43, and robbing him of his Samsung cellphone in Mashishing on 22 August 2010. The cellphone was later sold to Cash Crusaders in Emalahleni.

During a trial-within-a-trial on Monday, Phala testified that Constable Ernest Vuma Mgwambi assaulted him with the butt of a firearm on the back of his head during his arrest in Witbank on June 7.

‘Magistrate didn’t assist me’

"After I reported the assault to a magistrate, I was sent for a confession. The magistrate did not assist me in opening a case. He only called Mgwambi and told him not to assault me again," Phala testified.

He testified that he sustained a cut on the back of his head and that Mgwambi threatened to assault him further if he did not admit to the crime.

Tjatjie testified that after he was assaulted on June 4, he told a police captain he had been assaulted by Mgwambi.

"I told the captain from Leboeng police station that I had been assaulted. I do not know his name. I wanted him to take me to hospital, but he refused," Tjatjie said.

He testified that he was taken to a doctor on 22 June, but that he had already healed by then.

"The doctor did not find any injuries on my body. I also did not report to him that I had been assaulted by the police," he told the court.

"I was afraid, because the same police members who assaulted me were present in the doctor's surgery. I was afraid they would assault me again if I reported them."

Meanwhile, Seloane testified that he was taken outside Tubatse to the edge of a bridge in the veld where he was severely whipped on his back with a sjambok.

Prosecutor: There was no assault

"Pepper spray was used and a plastic tube covered over my head to make me suffocate. It was on 6 June 2011. After they took me back to the police station, I reported to a police officer at the police station," he said.

"I told the police officer I needed to be taken to a hospital as I needed to see a doctor. The police officer replied he did not interfere in such things. He never helped me lay a charge."

Prosecutor Eric van der Merwe told Phala and Tjatjie that according to the evidence before court, no assault took place.

"There is evidence that no assault took place. I put it to you that you gave directions yourself to the police when doing the pointing out. This was not disputed by your counsel," Van der Merwe told Tjatjie.

The trial continues.
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Nappies, they cost too much
6% - 209 votes
Formula and food, it's getting so expensive
18% - 588 votes
Creche and school fees are a struggle every month
76% - 2532 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.