SABC’s Hlaudi wants disciplinary broadcast live on TV

Cape Town – The South African Broadcasting Corporation's (SABC) embattled boss Hlaudi Motsoeneng, wants his upcoming disciplinary hearing broadcast live on television for all South Africans to see.

The SABC has finally started disciplinary proceedings against its controversial and famously matricless chief operating officer (COO) with a hearing set for October 30, but has not suspended Motsoeneng – the crux of one of the ongoing protracted and costly court battles in which he is entangled.

Outside the Western Cape High Court on Wednesday SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago refused to say on what grounds Motsoeneng had been served with a disciplinary hearing, but it was likely to include several issues specified in the public protector’s scathing report of February 2014.

After the damning report, the SABC did not suspend Motsoeneng and initiate a disciplinary hearing, but rather permanently appointed him COO.

The public protector implicated Motsoeneng in maladministration and abuse of power at the SABC; hiking his multi-million-rand salary three times in one year; purging senior SABC staff and for lying about having matric and making up symbols for a matric certificate he knew he could not produce.

Observers wondered how Motsoeneng could properly do his job while being in court constantly for full days as the SABC’s second highest executive. He is now being paid more than president Jacob Zuma after his salary shot up by almost another R1 million in the past financial year.

Now Motsoeneng wants his disciplinary hearing televised live to the nation.

Motsoeneng’s lawyer Zola Majavu said his client wanted the public to see first-hand his disciplinary inquiry on television. It would give the millions of South African viewers the chance to see directly the live proceedings of the disciplinary case and to follow the events undistorted.

Motsoeneng “would have no difficulty if those proceedings are televised live. I think that will afford all South Africans the chance to hear first-hand what really happened,” Majavu said.

On Wednesday Judge Dennis Davis said it appeared the SABC thought Motsoeneng was “the best thing since sliced bread”.

In his affidavit Motsoeneng said “my dignity will be severely severely prejudiced if I am pre-emptively suspended and prevented from carrying out my functions as COO and as an employee of the SABC, creating an impression in the eyes of the public that I am already guilty of the charges that are to be instituted against me”.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
The ANC's leadership race is heating up. Who do you think will be elected party president at Nasrec in December?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma has got it in the bag
7% - 867 votes
I foresee a second term for Cyril Ramaphosa
83% - 9912 votes
Don’t discount a Zweli Mkhize win
10% - 1153 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.09
-0.5%
Rand - Pound
20.09
+0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.69
-0.3%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.56
-0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.12
-0.4%
Gold
1,702.23
-0.6%
Silver
20.27
-1.9%
Palladium
2,233.00
-1.3%
Platinum
924.50
-0.1%
Brent Crude
94.42
+1.1%
Top 40
59,280
-0.2%
All Share
65,676
-0.2%
Resource 10
63,294
+0.0%
Industrial 25
79,505
-0.7%
Financial 15
14,072
+0.5%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE