Serial killer's wife murdered

Port Elizabeth - In a macabre twist of fate, the wife of a serial killer was bludgeoned to death with a brick at the weekend.

Lynn Havenga, first wife of one of the country's most notorious killers - Stewart "Boetie Boer" Wilken, and the mother of Wilken's 10-year-old daughter, Wuané, went missing in Missionvale on Friday evening.

She had apparently walked to a telephone booth to phone her third husband, Hermanus Havenga.

According to Havenga his wife was accompanied by one of her children from a previous marriage.

"I heard that three men stormed them, grabbed her, forced her into a car and raced away in a car.

"The child managed to escape," he said.

Superintendent Johan van Greunen said on Sunday the woman's body was found next to the salt pans in Missionvale about 06:30 on Saturday.

Van Greunen said she had been hit over the head with a blunt instrument. No arrests were made and the case was being investigated.

Havenga said his wife was hit numerous times with a brick against her head and she was mutilated almost beyond recognition.

"Lynn lived in Algoa Park and would have joined me in Kirkwood at the end of the month," Havenga said.

He said they had been married for five years and his wife received a state disability benefit.

Reign of terror

Wilken was responsible for a reign of terror in Port Elizabeth between 1990 and 1997. He was convicted of the murder of several prostitutes and young children.

Inspector Derrick Nosworthy, who was the investigating officer in the Wilken case, said Wilken was arrested in January 1997 on charges of murdering his own daughter and a 12-year-old boy, Henry Baker.

"Wilken previously had a relationship with Baker's mother and witnesses who knew him, saw him with Henry before the boy disappeared," Nosworthy said.

Later Wilken admitted that he had committed ten murders, and pointed out evidence to the police.

Wilken appeared in court on nine counts of murder and two of sodomy. Other charges concerned cannibalism and necrophilia.

Wilken was found guilty on seven counts of murder in the Port Elizabeth Supreme Court on February 27 1998 and received seven life sentences, which he is serving in a prison in Bloemfontein.

Havenga said his wife was "in a bad way" when he met her.

"The experience with Wilken had Lynn on her last legs and she became a nervous wreck.

"She took various tablets, but I eventually got her to the stage where she could go without them," Havenga said.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Show Comments ()
Voting Booth
Do you think the EFF’s shutdown on Monday was successful?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
No, it was mild and missed the mark
86% - 3960 votes
Yes, it gripped South Africa’s attention
14% - 656 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.