Pretoria - The question of who will foot the multi-million rand bill for changing Pretoria's street names needs an urgent answer, the Freedom Front Plus said on Wednesday.
This comes after a Pretoria High Court judgment was handed down on Tuesday, stating that the Tshwane metropolitan municipality should retain the city's old street names alongside the new ones.
"The judgment is proof that the ANC cannot destroy Pretoria’s heritage and that the correct procedures in terms of public participation should be followed at all times before name changes can occur," said Freedom Front Plus regional leader and Gauteng MPL Phillip van Staden in a statement.
In April 2013, the High Court granted an order to AfriForum, interdicting the city from removing existing street names and ordering it to restore any that had already been removed.
On June 13 of that year, the city's application for leave to appeal the order was dismissed. However, leave to appeal was later granted by the Supreme Court of Appeal, which in effect suspended the court order.
The Citizen reported on Tuesday that a full bench of the High Court dismissed the city’s appeal and also granted a punitive costs order against it.
As a result, the order would come into effect again, forcing the city to keep the old street name signs alongside the new ones. This was pending AfriForum’s application to review the 2012 decision to change the street names.
The review application will be heard in April next year.
"The question, however, is: who will settle the account of R98 million? This is the amount, according to the Tshwane metro, that was spent on street name changes in the city."