Xenophobic violence echoes deadly 2008 precedent

Johannesburg - The spate of attacks on foreigners in South Africa that has claimed the lives of at least seven people is chillingly reminiscent of even deadlier violence in 2008 that killed 62 and sent thousands seeking refuge.

Since then, xenophobic aggression has erupted repeatedly, with two million African immigrants, 300 000 refugees and asylum seekers and many illegal aliens.

But none of those outbreaks escalated to the deadly levels seen in 2008.

That wave of violence began in Alexandra, before spreading to most of the other provinces.

On May 11 2008, two migrant workers from neighbouring African nations died in the first of what became broadening assaults across South Africa.

Local police said attackers shot, stoned, whipped and robbed foreigners accused by township residents of being thieves.

During the following two weeks, immigrants - mostly from Zimbabwe and Mozambique - became victims of murder, rape and arson by assailants blaming them for rising criminal activity.

Roaming gangs wielding machetes and firearms began hunting down foreign residents in townships surrounding Johannesburg.

In some cases, victims were burned or beaten to death.

'Shameful acts'

Criticised for his inaction in confronting the violence, then-president Thabo Mbeki on May 25 lashed out at the "shameful acts of a few have blemished the name of South Africa".

In addition, for the first time since apartheid ended in 1994, the military was deployed to the worst-affected Johannesburg townships.

But attacks then erupted in Durban, where around 200 people armed with clubs and bottles fell upon foreigners they found.

The spree then spread to the Cape, and ultimately bloodied seven of South Africa's nine provinces.

Worst hit was Gauteng - home to both Johannesburg and Pretoria - where 52 of the total 62 fatalities occurred.

Tens of thousands of panicked foreigners returned to their home countries, while others flocked to police stations, churches or community centres seeking protection.

Many of those people spent days or even weeks in such makeshift shelters before being transported to better-equipped camps.

On July 20 2008, Nobel Peace Prize laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu offered his apology to victims of the violence during a mass before thousands of worshippers.

"Those who have been victims, we want to tell them we are sorry and we will not repeat this.

"We won't tolerate this," he said, recalling the protection neighbouring countries offered militants struggling to end the nation's apartheid regime.

"We were welcomed as exiles, as freedom fighters in those African lands. Could we really have forgotten so soon?"

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
How do you feel about the impending replacement of the Eskom board?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Finally, time for Eskom's new dawn!
5% - 198 votes
It’ll be new faces, same problems
49% - 2020 votes
Great - as long as they keep CEO André de Ruyter
46% - 1926 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.06
-0.2%
Rand - Pound
19.24
+0.5%
Rand - Euro
17.29
-0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.60
-0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.12
-0.4%
Gold
1,635.45
+0.4%
Silver
18.30
-0.5%
Palladium
2,071.63
-0.2%
Platinum
847.00
-0.8%
Brent Crude
86.27
+2.6%
Top 40
56,761
-1.5%
All Share
63,112
-1.4%
Resource 10
56,941
-0.1%
Industrial 25
77,811
-1.8%
Financial 15
13,956
-1.8%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE