Share

City of Joburg only has 6 working fire engines

The City of Johannesburg is currently facing a crisis when it comes to its firefighting capabilities. 

The City's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) spokesperson, Nana Radebe, confirmed to News24 that the municipality had 12 fire engines at the moment, six of which have gone for repairs. They are expected back next week.

One Johannesburg resident was left fuming on Wednesday after his Linden house was gutted by a fire. 

The City had to rely on a fire engine from Cosmo City, which is 20km away and one from Florida fire station that is 10km away, to battle the blaze.

According to Maggs Naidu, the Roosevelt Park fire station does not have a fire engine to assist nearby residents.

Naidu was in Limpopo and his wife was at work when the fire broke out.

"It is a disgrace for the City. It is outrageous for a popular city to have six fire engines. People are dying because of its incompetence, people are being neglected by the City. Fortunately, no one died when the fire started in my house." 

The cause of the fire is being investigated. 

Naidu said his family had received humanitarian aid from people who heard about the fire.

"My family is OK, and we are capable of surviving this. What about those who can't afford insurance? How does it happen that it took 40 minutes for the fire engine to respond? When it arrived, it took them another 10 minutes to pressurise the water.

"Imagine if they were responding to a shack fire, they would have found people dead," Naidu said.

READ: Bank of Lisbon building to be demolished following fatal 2018 fire

Radebe said the City relied on neighbouring municipalities, such as Ekurhuleni and Tshwane, to assist in fighting big fires.

"We are aware of the incident that happened on Wednesday. There are plans to acquire an extra 29 fire engines for the entire city. Some of the ones we have are old and constantly go for repairs. Last year, we acquired four engines to assist the eight we had, which are old and have been in use for the past 15 to 20 years.

"We have a crisis. We have removed all our fire engines from responding to medical calls. They are now dealing with fire incidents and motor vehicle accidents," said Radebe. 

She added there were glitches to secure a tender for more fire engines.

Johannesburg Mayor Herman Mashaba confirmed in a tweet that the City would be acquiring more fire engines. 

In September 2018, concerns were raised about the City's firefighting capabilities when the Bank of Lisbon building in the city centre went up in flames, claiming the lives of firefighters Simphiwe Moropane, 28, Mduduzi Ndlovu, 40, and Khathutshelo Muedi, 37.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
Who we choose to trust can have a profound impact on our lives. Join thousands of devoted South Africans who look to News24 to bring them news they can trust every day. As we celebrate 25 years, become a News24 subscriber as we strive to keep you informed, inspired and empowered.
Join News24 today
heading
description
username
Show Comments ()
Voting Booth
What is the best course of action after the Wilgenhof revelations at Stellenbosch University?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Let university management investigate
35% - 402 votes
Temporarily close the residence
17% - 198 votes
Launch another independent inquiry
15% - 171 votes
Let it go and get on with academics
33% - 387 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.79
+0.4%
Rand - Pound
23.88
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
20.41
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.35
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.0%
Platinum
912.00
0.0%
Palladium
954.05
0.0%
Gold
2,018.56
0.0%
Silver
22.80
0.0%
Brent Crude
83.55
+1.3%
Top 40
68,621
+1.5%
All Share
75,084
+1.4%
Resource 10
53,882
+1.6%
Industrial 25
104,052
+1.5%
Financial 15
17,391
+1.4%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE