Zuma's lawyers to make representations in challenge against Abrahams' decision for him to stand trial

Former president Jacob Zuma's legal team is expected to file an application to the KwaZulu-Natal High Court on Tuesday as it seeks a review of National Director of Public Prosecutions Shaun Abrahams' decision that there was no reason for him not to stand trial.

The 16 charges relate to the controversial multibillion-rand arms deal. 

READ: 10 things you should know about The State vs Jacob Zuma

During Zuma's previous appearance, thousands gathered to support the infamous former president.

The National Interfaith Council of South Africa, in partnership with the Commission for Religious Affairs, rallied behind Zuma.

Advocate Billy Downer, SC, a deputy director of public prosecutions in the Western Cape, is leading the State's case against Zuma.

Downer is a veteran prosecutor who recently successfully convicted former Western Cape top cop Arno Lamoer.

Zuma, NPA about-turn

The case against Zuma has spanned several years, with Patricia de Lille, then a PAC MP, first telling Parliament in 1999 that the multibillion-rand arms deal could be suspect.

READ: 'The reality is that Jacob Zuma should find himself in jail' - Andrew Feinstein

Since then, the matter has been kicked back and forth between courts.

On April 6, 2009, then National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) head Mokotedi Mpshe said recordings of telephone conversations between then Scorpions boss Leonard McCarthy and former NPA boss Bulelani Ngcuka showed political interference in the decision to charge Zuma. The two were recorded discussing the timing of bringing charges against Zuma. The charges related to his alleged involvement in the arms deal.

According to the NPA, the conversations provided evidence at the time of collusion against Zuma between former NPA officials and former president Thabo Mbeki. The charges were subsequently withdrawn just before Zuma was sworn in for his first term as president.

In 2016, however, the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria found that there was no reason for the NPA not to proceed with the prosecution.

Zuma and the NPA appealed this decision in the Supreme Court of Appeal. The court dismissed the appeal in October last year. This after Zuma and the NPA made an about-turn and said the decision not to prosecute him was irrational.

*This story has been corrected to reflect that Zuma's lawyers would be filing his review application. A previous incorrect version stated that Zuma would be appearing in court.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Are you going to keep wearing a mask following the announcement that it is no longer required under law?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
No ways, I'm done
5% - 6560 votes
Yes, I still want to be cautious
88% - 109753 votes
Only certain circumstances
6% - 8067 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
16.24
+0.6%
Rand - Pound
19.74
+0.0%
Rand - Euro
16.98
+0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.18
-0.6%
Rand - Yen
0.12
+0.5%
Gold
1,804.56
-0.3%
Silver
19.86
-0.2%
Palladium
1,956.47
-0.4%
Platinum
887.00
-0.6%
Brent Crude
111.63
+2.3%
Top 40
60,764
+1.9%
All Share
66,864
+1.8%
Resource 10
63,420
+3.6%
Industrial 25
80,953
+0.9%
Financial 15
14,872
+2.1%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE