Grayston bridge inquiry: Contract manager accepts responsibility for collapse of temporary structure

The man, who acted as the contract manager and engineer at the site of the Grayston Drive pedestrian and cyclist bridge project, has "accepted responsibility for the collapse of the temporary works structure". 

Hein Pretorius was testifying on Wednesday before the Grayston bridge inquiry, set up by the Department of Labour, into the causes of the collapse.

However, he told the commission he was not in a position to know what had caused the collapse. 

He testified that he had been on leave the day of the October 2015 incident, in which two people died and 19 were injured.

When asked about the appointment of a mentor to Oliver Aadnesgaard, a candidate engineer working on the construction site, Pretorius said he knew there needed to be one but was not aware who his mentor was.  

According to him, Aadnesgaard met the requirements of "a competent person".

Aadnesgaard, an employee of Murray & Roberts, declined to answer some of the questions put to him at the inquiry on Tuesday, saying he did not want to incriminate himself.  According to him, he did not know any person who designed and approved the drawings of the temporary structure. 

READ: Grayston bridge inquiry: Candidate engineer refuses to answer questions

Both Aadnesgaard and Pretorius said the drawings of the collapsed structure were supplied by FormScaff.

Pretorius also told the inquiry that he had received health and safety reports on site on a regular basis.  

Presiding officer Phumi Maphaha then asked why they went ahead with drawings without loadings. Pretorius declined to answer, saying that he may incriminate himself.  

According to him, his engagement with FormScaff mainly related to discussions on the ease of the erecting and dismantling of the temporary structure on the M1 bridge.

Maphaha also asked Pretorius if he was aware of the loads that the structure could carry. 

Again, he declined to answer. He also declined to answer a question about who was responsible for the inspections on the construction site. 

The inquiry is expected to continue on Thursday.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
How do you feel about the impending replacement of the Eskom board?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Finally, time for Eskom's new dawn!
5% - 170 votes
It’ll be new faces, same problems
48% - 1761 votes
Great - as long as they keep CEO André de Ruyter
47% - 1713 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.08
-0.4%
Rand - Pound
19.29
+0.2%
Rand - Euro
17.32
-0.2%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.61
-0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.5%
Gold
1,626.60
-0.2%
Silver
18.22
-0.9%
Palladium
2,093.00
+0.8%
Platinum
848.50
-0.6%
Brent Crude
86.27
+2.6%
Top 40
56,514
-1.9%
All Share
62,896
-1.8%
Resource 10
56,157
-1.5%
Industrial 25
77,854
-1.8%
Financial 15
13,946
-1.9%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE