Italians kidnapped in Libya may have been killed

Benghazi - Two Italian construction workers who were kidnapped in Libya last July may have been killed in the North African country during a clash between militants from the Islamic State group (ISIS) and local militias fighting them, Italian authorities and Libyan officials said on Thursday.

Photographs of the nine killed in the clash, including the two possible Italians, were posted online after the gunfight, which took place on Wednesday near the Libyan city of Sabratha. Their identity has not been definitively confirmed yet.

The Italian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Thursday that the families of Fausto Piano and Salvatore Failla have been informed that their loved ones "could" be the two victims. The ministry said it couldn't confirm the identities because officials do not have access to the bodies.

The contested western Libyan city of Sabratha has been the scene of heavy clashes recently.

Last month, the US carried out air strikes against an ISIS position there, killing dozens of militants as well as two Serbian hostages. Later in February, a militia loyal to the Islamist-backed government in the capital of Tripoli said it arrested the leader of the Islamic State branch for Sabratha, after the ISIS tried to take over the city, storming its security headquarters and beheading at least 12 militiamen.

On Thursday, the head of the so-called "Sabratha Media Center" said the local militia fighting the Islamic State ambushed two ISIS cars in a desert highway, 35km south of Sabratha, killing all nine people in the vehicles.

The bodies of the two Italians were later found, with weapons in their hands, said the head of the media center, Esam Krair.

At first the militiamen thought the two were from Syria because of their fair skin - the others in the convoy were from North African or had sub-Saharan African origins, said Krair.

"We will contact the Italian authorities and hope they recover the bodies for investigation," added Krair.

The four Italians were working for the Italian construction company Bonatti when they were kidnapped July 19 near an industrial complex owned by the Italian energy giant Eni in the western Libyan city of Mellitah.

Libya slid into chaos following the 2011 toppling and killing of dictator Muammar Gaddafi. Since 2014, its divisions only increased, splitting it into two governments and parliaments - the internationally recognized one in the country's east, and an Islamist-backed one in Tripoli.

Each side is backed by an array of different militias. Amid the chaos, a Libyan affiliate of the Islamic State group has surged, claiming responsibility for a series of deadly attacks as it tries to expand its territory and take control of oil terminals and fields, the sole source of Libya's wealth.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Matric results are out! Are you happy with your child's result?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
No, the pandemic really messed up their ability to focus
34% - 185 votes
Yes, they did well given the circumstances
66% - 361 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.13
+0.8%
Rand - Pound
20.50
-0.2%
Rand - Euro
17.16
-0.2%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.85
-0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.2%
Gold
1,834.78
0.0%
Silver
24.30
+0.0%
Palladium
2,111.50
0.0%
Platinum
1,034.00
0.0%
Brent Crude
87.89
-0.6%
Top 40
68,186
-2.1%
All Share
74,835
-1.9%
Resource 10
74,924
-3.0%
Industrial 25
94,147
-1.8%
Financial 15
15,076
-0.2%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE