Malawi removes 260 minors from adult prisons

Malawi has removed nearly 270 minors from two adult prisons, a legal action group said on Wednesday, following a court ruling and warnings about food shortages, disease risk and overcrowding.

The move came after a High Court ruling in June 2018 which ordered Bvumbwe and Kachere prisons to release all children being held there in a case brought by civil society organisations.

Victor Mhango of the Centre for Human Rights Education, Advice and Assistance said all 267 juveniles who were being held at the two jails had been released.

"The welfare of children in prison has always been a serious matter of concern. Our laws have recognised that prisons are not suitable for children," he said.

Malawi only has two juvenile reform centres, which are often full.

The court ordered that children awaiting trial should be transferred to remand homes, and those found guilty should be transferred to reform homes within 30 days.

Where there was an absence of remand homes, the children were released into the custody of their parents.

Judiciary spokesperson Agnes Patemba told AFP that the prison service had complied with the law.

In its 2016 report, the Inspectorate of Prisons said Kachere prison was "a health disaster" waiting to happen with inmates going days without food, poor hygiene standards, a shortage of blankets and the buildings themselves at risk of collapse.

It said cells in Bvumbwe prison were poorly ventilated and the toilets had no running water.

"This case sets an important precedent for our region," said Anneke Meerkotter, of the Southern Africa Litigation Centre.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Eskom has considered continuous load shedding at Stage 2, instead of introducing it when the power system faces a crunch. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'm all for it - we're going to have power cuts regardless, so we might as well have some stability to better plan our lives
45% - 4183 votes
No thanks! I prefer having periods of no load shedding and we cannot normalise this crisis
55% - 5059 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.93
-1.8%
Rand - Pound
19.45
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.37
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.70
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.0%
Gold
1,643.66
0.0%
Silver
18.87
0.0%
Palladium
2,073.00
0.0%
Platinum
858.50
0.0%
Brent Crude
86.15
-5.0%
Top 40
57,110
-3.1%
All Share
63,417
-2.9%
Resource 10
56,319
-7.5%
Industrial 25
78,436
-1.2%
Financial 15
14,142
-1.6%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE