Maseko confirms Gupta 'state capture' submission to ANC

Johannesburg - Former government spokesperson Themba Maseko has confirmed that he made the sole written submission to ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe on how the Gupta family allegedly tried to capture the state.

Mantashe on Monday told journalists that only one out of the eight complaints made to him was handed over as a written submission after he said ANC members with complaints about interference by the Gupta family into state affairs should bring these to his office.

Maseko told News24 he hadn't read Mantashe's statement yet.

"The impression I get is he's saying that unless more people come [forward], he will not investigate, but people must go to Chapter 9 institutions and make their submissions there."

Maseko said he is part of an initiative by former directors-general to speak out against state capture, and will call on government to make a public inquiry. He could, however, not say which body the directors-general would approach.

"We are still working out the details."

People deterred from lodging complaints

Maseko said although he had received "quite a few threats on Twitter of people saying they will investigate or expose me", most public servants, retired public servants and members of the public were supportive.

Asked why more people did not came out to complain about alleged state capture, he said: "Let them speak for themselves."

At least two sources, who did not want to be named, said Mantashe's investigation had no real power and that might have deterred people from lodging complaints.

Maseko in March told Sunday Times a member of the Gupta family had tried to get him to help with a government contract involving their New Age newspaper. 

He also subsequently tweeted: "If all who have been summoned to Saxonwold [where the Guptas live] were to meet, FNB stadium won't be big enough".

Never directly approached

Maseko's comments at the time followed revelations by Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas that the Guptas approached him last year to offer him former finance minister Nhlanhla Nene's job before Nene was sacked.

Former minister of communications Siphiwe Nyanda, who called on Zuma to resign following the revelations of state capture, told News24 he did not make a submission because he was never directly approached by the Guptas. 

Former MP Vytjie Mentor had made claims that she too was approached by the Gupta family for a ministerial position while President Jacob Zuma was in the same house.

Zuma is close friends with the Gupta family, who are business people.

ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa could not be immediately reached for comment.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Facebook is facing a fresh crisis after a former employee turned whistle-blower leaked internal company research. Do you still use Facebook?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, the benefits outweigh the risk for me
32% - 2439 votes
No, I have deleted it
38% - 2886 votes
Yes, but I am considering deleting it
31% - 2361 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.57
+0.8%
Rand - Pound
20.08
+0.1%
Rand - Euro
16.98
+0.4%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.88
+0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.7%
Gold
1,777.85
+0.7%
Silver
23.72
+2.3%
Palladium
2,081.00
+2.8%
Platinum
1,056.25
+1.6%
Brent Crude
84.33
-0.6%
Top 40
60,320
+0.7%
All Share
66,912
+0.6%
Resource 10
64,002
+0.9%
Industrial 25
84,631
+0.8%
Financial 15
13,990
-0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE