Muthambi heading to court to contest SABC inquiry report

Cape Town – Communications Minister Faith Muthambi will go to court to contest Parliament's SABC inquiry report, the ministry has said.

"I can confirm that the ministry intends to take the ad hoc committee report for a judicial review," ministry spokesperson Mish Molakeng told News24 on Friday.

Molakeng did not want to comment further on the matter, saying the minister's reasons would be made known once the process officially got underway.

The Star reported on Friday that Muthambi had written an explosive letter to Speaker Baleka Mbete to say she was taking the "irrational and unlawful" ad hoc committee report on review.

Muthambi reportedly wrote that she felt "ambushed" by the process, and that her constitutional rights had been violated.

She wanted the implementation of the inquiry's recommendations halted until the court makes a ruling, the report read.

Ad hoc committee dissolved

Ad hoc committee chairperson Vincent Smith told News24 that he was not aware of the letter, or Muthambi's intentions.

He said that the ad hoc committee had now been dissolved, and thus only the Speaker had the authority to speak on the matter.

Parliament's spokesperson Moloto Mothapo said they had been alerted to the reported letter through the media, but could not confirm if Parliament had received it officially.

He said it would be made public if it was received, and when the Speaker's office had processed it.

 - READ MORE: Parliament adopts SABC inquiry report

On Tuesday, Parliament formally adopted the report of the ad hoc committee looking into the SABC board.

The report referred Muthambi to Parliament's ethics committee to investigate her role in amending the SABC board's memorandum of incorporation, as well as in the appointment of Hlaudi Motsoeneng to then-chief operating officer in July 2014.

It also recommended to President Jacob Zuma that he reconsider Muthambi's desirability to continue leading the department.

Only the United Democratic Movement opposed its adoption, citing the committee's decision not to invite Motsoeneng to provide evidence as its reason.

 - FOLLOW Paul Herman on Twitter

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Should the red carpet portion of SONA be scrapped this year?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, it's inappropriate given the state of the country
93% - 4023 votes
No, it's part of the tradition
7% - 290 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.73
+0.2%
Rand - Pound
21.46
-0.1%
Rand - Euro
19.03
+0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.35
-0.4%
Rand - Yen
0.14
-0.0%
Platinum
981.25
-0.6%
Palladium
1,665.70
+0.3%
Gold
1,881.78
+0.3%
Silver
22.47
+0.7%
Brent Crude
85.09
+1.7%
Top 40
74,400
+0.6%
All Share
80,380
+0.5%
Resource 10
74,872
+0.2%
Industrial 25
104,514
+0.6%
Financial 15
16,463
+0.8%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE