My son is not an ISIS terrorist - Durban mom

Durban - A South African mother has denied her son is an Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) fighter, after a picture was posted on Twitter of his driver’s licence, which was apparently found on the dead body of an unidentified jihadi.

The licence, owned by South African Aqeel Abdul-Haq Kloberie, has been verified by the Department of Home Affairs as authentic, Daily News reported on Monday.

His mother, Joyce Snyman, of Umbilo in Durban, was still waiting for news from authorities, and was hopeful that he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Read more: Police probe Durban man over ISIS flag

The picture was posted on Twitter on November 19, and claimed that Kloberie was a jihadi terrorist, and had just been killed in Iraq.

Snyman reportedly told the daily that her son was an introvert, but very skilled. She said feared he may have been used by terrorists to make bombs, or that he could have been killed by mistake.

"My son is not a terrorist," she said.

Kloberie left for Bahrain in March to work as a radiographic tester, the daily reported. His mother said she last spoke to him in June.

Previous SA links

This is not the first time a South African has been linked to the global terror group.

Last week, a Durban resident was seen flying the ISIS flag from his Pinetown home.

The man claimed that conspirators had snuck into his garden and climbed a tree to erect the flag, which has since been taken down.

Read more: Cape Town teen who tried to join ISIS an 'ordinary' student

A case of contravening the Protection of Constitutional Democracy Against Terrorist and Related Activities Act was opened on Friday, Durban police confirmed.

In April, a Cape Town girl was pulled off a flight at Cape Town International Airport allegedly en route to join ISIS.

The 15-year-old’s flight was reportedly destined for Saudi Arabia, but the State Security Agency, with the help of Crime Line intervened after her relatives contacted authorities when she disappeared from her parent’s home, State Security Minister David Mahlobo said on Monday.

The teen’s principal told News24 the student showed no strange behaviour that would have suggested something was wrong, and was as “ordinary” as any other pupil.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Should the red carpet portion of SONA be scrapped this year?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, it's inappropriate given the state of the country
93% - 2488 votes
No, it's part of the tradition
7% - 179 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.52
+0.2%
Rand - Pound
21.21
-0.2%
Rand - Euro
18.84
+0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.24
-0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.0%
Platinum
987.52
+0.1%
Palladium
1,683.88
+1.9%
Gold
1,884.72
+0.6%
Silver
22.45
+1.2%
Brent Crude
83.69
+3.2%
Top 40
73,887
+0.6%
All Share
79,952
+0.5%
Resource 10
75,268
+0.9%
Industrial 25
103,291
+0.6%
Financial 15
16,342
+0.1%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE