Yawa said his department would test the buses during the next 10 days, starting on Tuesday.
"The operation is intended to guarantee a safer bus transport system during and beyond Easter and leading up to the Soccer World Cup in June," said Yawa.
The operation would be structured in such a way that it doesn't unnecessarily disrupt the routine operations.
"Official instruction has, as per Road Traffic Act, been given to all bus companies to avail their buses for roadworthiness tests at testing centres in their respective municipalities."
Buses found in a critical condition would be removed from the roads.
"Those found with minor defects would be subjected to another round of tests after repairs," said Yawa.
Last year, 23 buses were scrapped off the road in a similar operation when 345 buses were tested.