NPA to consider options after Nomgcobo Jiba, Lawrence Mrwebi struck off advocates' roll

Cape Town – The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) on Thursday said it will consider its options after two senior prosecutions officials, Nomgcobo Jiba and her colleague Lawrence Mrwebi, were struck off the roll of advocates of the General Council of the Bar of SA.

The duo were struck of the roll over their handling of the Richard Mdluli matter as ordered by Judge Frans Legodi with Judge W Hughes in agreement in the High Court in Pretoria.

"We will reflect on issues raised in the judgment with a view to determining legal avenues to explore," NPA spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku said in a statement.

Earlier News24 reported that Legodi wrote a scathing 109-page judgment stating his disappointment with the two.

"I cannot believe that two officers of the court [advocates] who hold such high positions in the prosecuting authority will stoop so low for the protection and defence of one individual who had been implicated in serious offences," Legodi wrote.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Rand - Dollar
15.37
+0.2%
Rand - Pound
21.03
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.55
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.08
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.0%
Gold
1,817.74
0.0%
Silver
22.96
0.0%
Palladium
1,883.50
0.0%
Platinum
974.00
0.0%
Brent Crude
86.06
+1.9%
Top 40
68,448
-1.1%
All Share
75,160
-1.0%
Resource 10
74,434
-1.5%
Industrial 25
94,294
-1.0%
Financial 15
15,565
-0.3%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE