Share

Patricia de Lille's plan to engage 20 400 workers to help fight the coronavirus

The Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (DPWI) is assisting the Department of Health by contracting non-profit organisations (NPOs) to recruit an additional 20 400 workers in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

The workers will be drawn from the expanded public works programme (EPWP).

Public Works and Infrastructure Minister Patricia de Lille told media in Parliament on Tuesday that 316 NPOs have been identified to recruit the workers.

The NPOs will also manage the programme to train the workers. 

The workers will be expected to do specific tasks, such as distribute sanitisers and soap, educate people on proper hygiene, show people without access to hand washing facilities how to make a tippy tap, disinfect high risk areas and conduct clean-up campaigns.

A tippy tap is a hands-free device for hand washing, designed especially for rural areas where there is no running water.

"They will then fall under the category of essential workers and the health department will ensure their exemption as 20 400 essential workers," De Lille said.

Training of the workers will begin as soon as DPWI gets the green light from the health department.

De Lille said she is also compiling a directive that the current cohort of around 800 000 EPWP workers will be paid during the lockdown.

"This will ensure there is no negative impact on these individuals financially during the lockdown."

READ | OR Tambo airport bustling as scores of travellers make their way home

The minister also updated the media on the work being done to identify state-owned and private facilities which could be used as possible quarantine sites.

She said, so far, 52 properties, 31 in DPWI's custodianship, have been identified. They still need to be inspected and approved for use by the health department.

De Lille said the response from the private sector to provide quarantine sites had been overwhelming.

A total of 16 737 beds across the public and private sector had been identified, but was subject to health department inspection to see whether they met a set of strict criteria.

"Once these checks have been done, we will inform the private sector of which properties we will use as quarantine sites."

Last week, De Lille announced her department had contracted a company to replace around 40 kilometres of fencing on both sides of the Beitbridge border post between South Africa and Zimbabwe.

She said the work was well under way and eight teams had been deployed to each replace 5kms of fencing.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
heading
description
username
Show Comments ()
Voting Booth
What do you make of the Springbok 'away' jersey that they wore against Scotland on Sunday?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I love it! It's refreshing
9% - 999 votes
It's AWFUL! The Boks should never wear it again
52% - 5604 votes
Get over it! As long as they win, I couldn't care what they wear
39% - 4203 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.99
-0.7%
Rand - Pound
23.31
-0.1%
Rand - Euro
20.22
-0.5%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.16
+0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.9%
Platinum
914.12
-0.3%
Palladium
1,236.93
-2.0%
Gold
1,915.16
-0.8%
Silver
22.89
-1.4%
Brent-ruolie
93.53
-0.9%
Top 40
67,498
-2.2%
All Share
73,285
-2.1%
Resource 10
58,057
-3.2%
Industrial 25
99,329
-2.1%
Financial 15
16,456
-1.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE