Sandra Moonsamy kidnapping: Accused ask that shower privileges be reinstated

Four men accused of kidnapping top Durban businesswoman Sandra Moonsamy, 45, have complained that their shower privileges have been taken away from them.

"The accused have complained that since they have been at Kokstad prison, they have not been given access to shower facilities," said lawyer Mxolisi Nxasana.

Nxasana, a former national director of public prosecutions, said the men also bemoaned not having access to exercise facilities.

"These are basic rights that they have been denied."

State prosecutor Kuveshnie Pillay agreed that the men should have access to showers.

"Basic cleanliness is a right."

Magistrate Anand Maharaj said he would issue an instruction to the prison to ensure their rights were not violated.

"My powers allow me to issue a J7 form to instruct as such."

Pillay also said international warrants against some of the accused would be handed over to court prior to the formal bail application on February 25.

The four, aged 30 to 34, faced charges of kidnapping, extortion and attempted murder. They previously said they would not apply for bail until they saw the police docket.

READ MORE: Missing Durban businesswoman found after six months - Hawks

The court ordered that none of the accused be named, saying there was a dispute over the location of their ID cards.

The accused say police took their cards, but Pillay has disputed this, saying authorities were only in possession of their passports.

News24 reported that the court also cited security reasons for the protection of their identities. Some of the accused have used a Portuguese translator during proceedings.

The men had allegedly demanded R140m for Moonsamy's release.

She was kidnapped in May 2019 on the M13 in Stapleton Road, Pinetown, while driving her black Range Rover.

The Hawks confirmed that she had been found alive in Emalahleni six months after her disappearance. She was allegedly found bound in chains.

The Hawks also maintained that an international syndicate was allegedly behind the kidnapping, but said more information would be revealed once the case was before court.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What are your thoughts on the possibility of having permanent Stage 2 or 3 load shedding?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'll take that over constant schedule changes
13% - 1500 votes
Why are we normalising Eskom’s mess?
72% - 8223 votes
I've already found alternative ways of powering my home/business
15% - 1709 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.47
-2.2%
Rand - Pound
21.05
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
18.91
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.09
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.0%
Platinum
974.02
0.0%
Palladium
1,623.95
0.0%
Gold
1,865.16
0.0%
Silver
22.35
0.0%
Brent Crude
79.94
-2.8%
Top 40
74,082
+0.6%
All Share
80,241
+0.6%
Resource 10
75,186
+0.7%
Industrial 25
103,461
+0.8%
Financial 15
16,550
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE