Shock at moves to 'spread resources' for sexual offences courts

Johannesburg – The justice department's intention to reduce resources to sexual offences courts is shocking, organisations campaigning against gender violence said on Thursday.

“We were deeply disappointed to learn about this move,” Kathleen Dey, national director of Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust said.

Deputy Justice Minister John Jeffery made the announcement during a speech at the unveiling of the Thembalethu Sexual Offences Court in George on Monday.

The organisations said Jeffery announced that the department had finalised a partnership with Unicef to “develop a less resourced and less costly sexual offences courts model”.

Jeffery told News24 on Thursday it was not a matter of reducing resources.

“It is a matter of resources being spread further. What we are doing with Unicef is to see if we can provide facilities at a cheaper cost to ensure that we have more sexual offences courts."

Dey said activists and civil society organisations in the sector were not consulted about the aims behind this partnership.

Sanja Bornman, of Lawyers for Human Rights’ gender equality programme, said any plan to reduce resources to sexual offences courts undermined the reason for bringing them back. A decision had been made to reintroduce these courts based on recommendations by a task team and civil society backed the idea.

“It would be unacceptable for the state to now go half-way on implementation. They knew what it would cost when the decision was made,” Bornman said.

The organisations said sexual offences courts were scrapped from the South African criminal justice system, despite their success, in or around 2008.

Due to civil society demand and escalating sexual violence against women and children, the specialised courts were reintroduced by an act of Parliament which the president signed in January 2014.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Eskom has considered continuous load shedding at Stage 2, instead of introducing it when the power system faces a crunch. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'm all for it - we're going to have power cuts regardless, so we might as well have some stability to better plan our lives
45% - 4729 votes
No thanks! I prefer having periods of no load shedding and we cannot normalise this crisis
55% - 5796 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.09
-0.7%
Rand - Pound
19.33
+0.3%
Rand - Euro
17.38
-0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.68
+0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.1%
Gold
1,621.66
-1.3%
Silver
18.34
-2.8%
Palladium
2,047.50
-1.2%
Platinum
852.00
-0.8%
Brent Crude
86.15
-5.0%
Top 40
57,290
+0.3%
All Share
63,626
+0.3%
Resource 10
56,215
-0.2%
Industrial 25
79,529
+1.4%
Financial 15
13,982
-1.2%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE