Cape Town - The SABC has still not replied to Icasa’s ruling that it must withdraw its ban on the broadcasting of violent protest footage.
SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago on Wednesday said the broadcaster had sent three or four letters to the Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) over the last week, but could not comment further as they were still in litigation.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Helen Suzman Foundation (HSF) obtained an interdict in the High Court in Pretoria, preventing the SABC from continuing to censor coverage of protests.
"We are busy in court against the Helen Suzman Foundation today, so I can’t comment on the Icasa reply yet," he told News24.
The HSF’s application was against the SABC, its board, COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng, and Communications Minister Faith Muthambi.
Last Monday, Icasa ordered the SABC to withdraw its decision not to air footage of the destruction of property during protests. The SABC was given seven days, from the date of the ruling, to respond.
Icasa could not immediately be reached for comment on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, eight SABC journalists on Wednesday asked the Constitutional Court to intervene, after the broadcaster fired them earlier this week.