Cape Town – Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu will be going in for a minor surgical procedure on Wednesday to find out what is causing the infection that has been dogging him.
A statement from the Tutu family said that in the meantime "the Arch", as he is affectionately known, has continued to respond well to the treatment for the recurring infection.
Tutu took himself to hospital for treatment in August.
Last year, the prostate cancer and tuberculosis survivor also had a lengthy hospital stay for an infection.
The family of the 84-year-old anti-apartheid stalwart said they were grateful to all those holding him in their prayers.
His wife, Leah Tutu, said more information on his condition would be shared when appropriate.