UN wants to send experts for Burundi mass graves probe

New York - The United Nations wants to send independent forensics experts to Burundi to help authorities investigate allegations of mass graves in the strife-torn country, a senior official said on Wednesday.

After a government security crackdown in December, witnesses came forward with accounts of at least nine mass graves in and around Bujumbura including one in a military camp where more than 100 bodies were allegedly buried.

Corpses were allegedly dumped in grave sites by police who had carried out raids in Bujumbura, arresting and shooting young men in response to a December 11 attack by gunmen on three military barracks.

UN Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights Ivan Simonovic told reporters that a Burundian prosecutor had opened an investigation of the alleged mass graves and that the United Nations had offered to help.

"Somebody has to dig those mass graves. We would like to be present when this is done and we are offering to provide forensics experts," Simonovic said.

The government, which has dismissed the allegations, has not responded to the UN offer for experts to be on site for the excavations.

UN human rights officials are examining satellite imagery of the alleged mass graves and pressing the government to act quickly to shed light on the allegations.

Burundi has been in turmoil since President Pierre Nkurunziza announced plans in April to run for a third term, which he went on to win.

More than 400 people have died in the violence and at least 230,000 have fled the country.

UN Security Council ambassadors traveled to Burundi last month to urge Nkurunziza to open up serious negotiations with the opposition and agree to an international presence.

The mission was aimed at preventing a slide toward ethnic killings in Burundi between Hutus and Tutsis, similar to the violence that led to the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Gauteng DA leader Solly Msimanga says the party's voters want it to explore conditional coalition talks with the ANC. 
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a step in the right direction. An ANC-DA coalition would be the most stable option for SA
32% - 3256 votes
The DA should focus on working with all opposition parties, including the EFF, to unseat the ANC
15% - 1459 votes
The DA should rather remain in opposition than form a coalition with the ANC or the EFF
53% - 5345 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.07
+0.5%
Rand - Pound
20.51
+0.1%
Rand - Euro
17.71
+0.2%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.44
-0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.12
+0.4%
Gold
1,751.40
+0.6%
Silver
21.29
+1.7%
Palladium
1,872.82
+1.3%
Platinum
1,002.50
+1.0%
Brent Crude
83.19
-0.5%
Top 40
66,994
0.0%
All Share
73,368
0.0%
Resource 10
70,795
0.0%
Industrial 25
88,376
0.0%
Financial 15
16,389
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE