Western Cape declared disaster area over drought

Cape Town – The Western Cape government has declared the entire province a disaster area in order to deal with the ongoing drought, MEC Alan Winde said on Monday.

The declaration was made to speed up the reaction time for the deployment of resources to tackle water scarcity, Winde told News24.

The deceleration will be formally gazetted during the course of the week after it was adopted by the provincial cabinet last week.

The Karoo and West Coast municipalities were declared a disaster area in 2016, but the disaster area has now been extended to the entire province.

“The disaster area declaration will help municipalities deal with issues of blockages in the procurement process to tackle the ongoing drought,” Winde said.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Matric results are out! Are you happy with your child's result?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
No, the pandemic really messed up their ability to focus
33% - 585 votes
Yes, they did well given the circumstances
67% - 1178 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.24
+0.1%
Rand - Pound
20.58
+0.1%
Rand - Euro
17.22
+0.4%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.91
-0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.1%
Gold
1,848.85
+0.3%
Silver
23.83
-0.7%
Palladium
2,205.16
+2.7%
Platinum
1,031.69
-0.2%
Brent Crude
86.27
-1.9%
Top 40
65,870
+0.3%
All Share
72,315
+0.2%
Resource 10
72,883
+1.9%
Industrial 25
89,867
-1.2%
Financial 15
14,799
+0.6%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE