PICTURES: Dog swallows Pretoria woman’s engagement ring

2020-02-06 14:59
Pepper, isn’t as innocent as he looked (Photo: Facebook/Valley Farm Animal Hospital)

Pepper, isn’t as innocent as he looked (Photo: Facebook/Valley Farm Animal Hospital)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

It’s a routine many women have: You take off your ring, put it on the bedside table and go take a shower.

But after coming out of the shower, this 40-year-old Pretoria woman discovered her ring had gone missing. And the only suspect was a four-pawed furry with a look on its face pleading its innocence.

But she knew her four-month old pup, Pepper, isn’t as innocent as he looked – he must’ve swallowed the ring.

So she grabbed Pepper and took him to the Valley Farm Animal Hospital in Faerie Glen. And sure enough, the X-rays revealed the ring in Pepper’s belly.

The animal hospital shared pictures of Pepper and the X-rays on their Facebook page.

Dr Dean de Kock, a vet at Valley Farm, says Pepper’s owner was so convinced he’d swallowed the ring she didn’t hesitate to bring him in.

“The pup even looked guilty,” Dean chuckles.

“Dogs often swallow things but not necessarily jewellery,” he adds. “We give them apomorphine [a type of powder your rub in their eyes or on the mucus membranes] – which makes them nauseous and causes them to vomit.”

After Dean and his colleagues applied the powder to Pepper’s gums, he vomited and they could retrieve the ring.

Pepper and his mom left the animal hospital with the ring on her finger – where it belongs.


Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.