Six-year-old boy suffers 90% burns trying to save his granddad

2019-09-06 16:24
Vishnea Svytoslav. (Photo: CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA)

Vishnea Svytoslav. (Photo: CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

This brave little boy is fighting for his life after suffering severe burns when he tried to save his granddad from a raging inferno.

The incident occurred when little Vishnea Svytoslav, from Karelia in Russia, was at home with his grandparents.

His grandfather, who hasn’t been named, started to light a fire in the bathroom in order to heat the water for a bath when he’s believed to have collapsed, knocking over the stove and starting a fire.

The boy tried to rescue his grandfather, but was unable to move him as the fire spread.

The youngster only fled when he himself was engulfed in flames.

His grandmother realised what was going on, and rushed over to extinguish the flames – but not before the little boy had suffered burns over 90% of his body.

He also suffered severe smoke-inhalation damage to his lungs and upper respiratory tract.

“A sanitary evacuation of a six-year-old child injured in a fire was carried out,” Andrei Yartsev, a doctor from the Russian Emergencies Ministry, said.

“The child’s condition is extremely serious.”

Medics say the boy was on death’s door for three days at the Children’s Republican Hospital of the city of Petrozavodsk, in north-west Russia.

Although still critical, doctors have now been able to fly him to a specialised clinic in the larger city of Nizhny Novgorod. In an interview local media, the boy’s mother, Julia Vishnea (28), appealed to people to pray for her son.

“He needs to be able to hang on for a few more days to have a real chance at life.

CEN/MAGAZINEFEATURES.CO.ZA

“He is strong anyway but with our support, our prayers and our faith, he will be even stronger and will be able to pull through,” Julia said.

She also praised her son for his bravery to try and save his stricken grandfather. Sadly, his grandfather passed away.

“We still don’t know why he [the grandfather] fell ill. Svyatoslav didn’t leave him and instead tried to use all his strength to get him out of the bathroom,” Julia said.

Source: Magazine Features

Read more on:    suffer  |  burn survivors  |  boy
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.