Hot water bottles are most people’s go-to item for those super cold days and for some, to soothe cramps or joint pains. Usually they provide much needed relief but for this UK woman, that wasn’t the case.According to Metro UK, 29-year-old Sophie Mason’s hot water bottle, which was filled with freshly boiled water tore open and left her with severe burn marks.“It had been raining outside so we were cold. I got my husband to fill the hot water bottle for me with water from the kettle. I always tuck it down the front of my leggings to keep it secure. When I did it split down the seam. I can’t explain how it felt, I instantly felt sick,” she told the publication. She also posted pictures of her injuries on her Facebook page. “For YEARS I ignored the ‘do not fill with boiling water’ warning and this is the result of my ignorance,” she wrote on Facebook.The mother-of-four was then rushed to hospital where she underwent a three-hour operation in which skin from the back of her right thigh was used to cover her burns.“The nurses were trying to get control all the blisters that were coming up – there must have been 100 blisters on my stomach and legs,” she explained. Sophie also said that the accident had affected her mobility and is now urging others not to fill their hot water bottles with boiling water.“Listen to your husband when he says don’t do it. He’s been telling me for years and I’ve been saying you’re paranoid. I know so many people who’ve said they do this. They always advise not to put boiling water inside in case this happens.”Here are 3 other safety precautions by lovehotwaterbottles.com to keep in mind when using a hot water bottle:1. Do not overfill the bottle – Three quarters should be the maximum amount of water in the bottle. Overfilling can cause the bottle to burst.2. Never lie or sit on top of the hot water bottle – Weight and pressure can cause the bottle to burst.3. Tighten carefully - Never twist the body below the neck when tightening the stopper as the twisting motion adds pressure on the neck joints. Doing this may cause the bottle to split. Overtightening can cause the bottle to crack and leak.