Warning to home owners

2015-10-29 06:00

The City is aware that private residential properties are increasingly being used for various activities, for example as small churches or places of worship, businesses and crèches.

While these uses are welcomed, property owners need to ensure that the use of their property is in line with the zoning of the premises and, where applicable, consent for alternative uses must be obtained.

A property zoned Single Residential allows for a dwelling house to be constructed. It also allows for additional uses such as home occupation, a bed and breakfast establishment (no more than six paying guests and no more than three rooms being used for guests), and home child care (a small crèche of up to six children). These additional uses are subject to certain limitations.

Owners of properties zoned for Single Residential 1 purposes must apply for and be granted a consent use or temporary departure if they do not comply with the limitations for additional uses; or want to operate a place of worship, small business (such as a house shop), guest house or crèche (more than six children); or want to build a second dwelling on the property.

If they fail to do so, for whatever reason, they will be in contravention of the property’s zoning rights.

The City of Cape Town’s Municipal Planning By-law permits the City to take a variety of actions in respect of an unlawful land use.

An owner may make application to rectify the unlawful land use or building work, but will be required to pay an administrative penalty.

Legal action is the absolute last resort, therefore, property owners are encouraged to visit their local district planning office to verify whether the current use of the property complies with the zoning of the premises and, if not, what process they need to follow in order to comply with applicable legislation or to avoid further action.

The City’s land use and building inspectors are available to help property owners with any queries they may have regarding zoning matters and building applications so that together we can ensure that families and businesses can enjoy legally compliant, well-constructed, safe spaces.

Complaints relating to possible land use and building contraventions are to be submitted in writing to the City’s Property Enforcement Section at their local planning district office for their investigation.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.


Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.


You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.