Following a ravaging fire that swallowed four shacks at the BM section, Noluthando School for the Deaf staff members took a break from handing out lessons instead giving some much needed clothes and food. On Thursday, the teachers lead by principal handed donation after they banded together and raised funds for the four families that were affected. According to the principal, Ayanda Ncinane, he saw the destruction of the fire when he was leaving the school to a meeting and alerted his colleagues. “I was shocked to see that the residents had to suffer such a loss. I was really touched and I am happy that the staff was equally moved by this. We know that when people are affected by shack fires they lose everything so we got together and collect money and clothing materials,” said the principal. He said that this was his way of a building a relationship between the school and the community since he had just took over the reins at the school in April. “We need the community to own this school and care of it. We need to have a working relationship which will benefit both parties. “We understand that some of our children are from this community and it is sad state when a child loses their uniform in a fire,” he said. The school is situated in Govan Mbeki Road flanked by both the BM section and Greenpoint area adjacent to Site B. The school has 340 learners from preschool to grade 9 with 167 of the learners having hearing impairment, 85 with Autisim with the rest learning trade skills as result of being academically challenged. Simphiwe Nxusani, community leader, said that it was great initiative by the school to spot and do something about the situation.“It is important for organisations in our community to come forward in time of need. You must realised that some of these families are poor and losing all they have is very devastating,” said Nxusani. He added that fortunate that the school was reaching to them as they were also looking forward to working with the school. “We have a big problem of crime with children loitering and having no facilities to do sport. We would love to have programmes where children would be able to use the facilities of the school in future,” he said.