Gugulethu residents and others from outlying areas have expressed their exhilaration at the news that repairs to the fire stattion are underway, following a devastating fire by so-called land invaders from Cyril Ramaphosa informal settlement.In July, the station was razed after the residents fought running battles with law enforcement officials.The station has been unable to operate since then.Songezo Vingqishe from Lotus River applauded the City’s efforts to resuscitate the project, saying he hoped security would be beefed up.“The City has done a great job especially now that is the time of shack fires. We are living in fear because we are not sure what we can do if the fire broke out,” said Vinqqishe. He lambasted residents for the earlier vandalism and arson, describing them as hooligans. “These people did not think ... How can you set fire to a utility that is set up to help you in times of disaster. City Vision visited the station one Friday afternoon, but were not allowed inside the building, with the security guards citing safety concerns.Although the premises was still covered with corrugated iron.The window panes, however, have all been replaced. The City’s mayoral committee for Safety and Security and Social Services JP Smith said the repairs have been ongoing for some time. “We are pleased to announce that the fire station should be operating before Christmas. The repairs have amounted to approximately R600 000,” said Smith. He said a perimeter fence will be installed in due course to further protect the fire station. “We have revisited our security measures, but it would be imprudent to discuss much of these in the interest of safety,” said Smith.