Three families were left homeless after their shacks were gutted in a fire in BM Section on Sunday evening.Resident Buntu Mtshemla said they suspected that an illegal electricity connection was behind the fire.Mtshemla said the fire started at his uncle’s shack, fortunately, no one was home when the fire started.“Since we do not have electricity here, we have to get connection from M Section. Everything that was in the shacks burnt down. We could not save anything. The fire started around 8pm. We have been asking for electricity for too long, but we do not get answers. We do not even have toilets here,” he said.Lindile Mabandla, also an affected resident, said the fire left massive damages.“I lost everything I had ... I could not even save my Identity Document. There was no chance of salvaging anything, because the fire spread too fast,” Mabandla said.He also said he also lost everything when fire broke-out in the area way back in 2008.PR Councillor, Amos Komeni, who visited the area on Monday, said they have been trying for a long time to ensure that residents get services like electricity.“They City of Cape Town said the residents are residing on a road reserved for use, which is why they cannot get services. The issue of not having electricity results in illegal connection which is the reason the shacks burnt down. It means we are always going to react after such things happened,” he said.He also said they were looking at assisting those affected with building materials to rebuild their shacks.