Its lights on for R.R Section

2019-02-21 06:01
Shack owner Mncedi Dunjwa (green tshirt) is happy that he now has his own electricity box. Pictured with him is Mncekeleli Khutshwa from Thebza Contruction Company and ward councillor Monde NqulwanaPHOTO: unathi obose

Shack owner Mncedi Dunjwa (green tshirt) is happy that he now has his own electricity box. Pictured with him is Mncekeleli Khutshwa from Thebza Contruction Company and ward councillor Monde NqulwanaPHOTO: unathi obose

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Life will never be the same again for residents of RR Section in Site B after the City of Cape Town has switched on the lights in 668 shacks last Thursday.

Residents were exhilarated, saying that electrification will minimise shack fires.

Mncedi Dunjana, one of the residents said he could not believe his eyes during switch on.

“I used to pay 200 a month for electricity(from another household). Sometimes I used to pay double when it was finished in middle of the month. Now I’ll be able to use all my own appliances,” said Dunjwa.

He said the installation of electricity in his area will make their lives easier because most of the time they used paraffin stoves to save electricity.

“These people we connected electricity from, used to unplug our sockets whenever they felt like, especially as they were running out of electricity ... Others even instructed us not to make use of our refrigerators in order to save electricity,” he said.

Ward 89 Councillor Monde Nqulwana said the project was in two phases.

“Phase One is done, and we will start working on Phase Two next. Phase Two comprises of 1350 shacks, where we will be installing electricity,” said Nqulwana.

Nqulwana confirmed that by end of March, Phase Two is supposed to be done with.

He added that due to delays, the electrification was supposed to have been switched on by December 2018.

“Phase One started in October last year, and the switch on December, but because of political dilly-dallying in the provincial government, which affected service delivery, the whole process was delayed,” he said.

Nqulwana added that some families had been placed in temporary spaces because they have been living under electricity lines.

“There are 22 families that are going to move to TRA’s at Bosasa Two and Aloe Ridge, but we are still waiting for the City to confirm their status,” he said.

He also said the issue of housing for the dwellers was still unclear because the City doesn’t have a plan for informal areas at the moment,” said Nqulwana.

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.