‘Killer’ to remain in custody for now

2019-02-28 06:01
The family of Andiswa Zide was involved in an accident as they transported mourners and her body to the Eastern Cape last Friday morning.

The family of Andiswa Zide was involved in an accident as they transported mourners and her body to the Eastern Cape last Friday morning.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The man who allegedly killed his girlfriend and severed her leg will remain behind bars.

Morris Nyamandi (30) heard on Tuesday 26 February that his case has been postponed to Friday 8 March, pending engaging the services of a Shona interpreter.

The sobbing accused, a Zimbabwean national, stood in the dock and nodded when the decision was communicated to him.

He appeared in the Strand Magistrate’s Court with his hair cut and two visible wounds to the back of his head.

The deceased’s three children, aged 10, four and three months, were in the court precinct when the man accused of murdering their mother appeared.

The family of Andiswa Zide (26) came all the way from Saldanha Bay to attend the court proceedings. The family had returned from the funeral, held in the Eastern Cape on Saturday.

Only four members of the family were allowed to enter the courtroom, owing to its size.

Magistrate Mbulelo Sidyiyo said it was a pity “Mr Twala” was not in court, as he had agreed to arrange for an interpreter for the court proceedings.

The state-appointed lawyer for the accused said the case must be postponed so his client can issue him with proper instructions.

The deceased’s mother, Thobeka Zide, told City Vision the family is still deeply traumatised by her daughter’s death.

“The manner in which she died hurts a lot,” she said. “This man allegedly mutilated her body; in the end she was without a leg. People in the Eastern Cape even fainted when they heard about all of this.

“No-one deserves to die that way. She leaves behind these innocent young children. As we came here this morning, the four- year-old said she wanted her mother back, and we had to deal with that as a family.”

The drama of the young mother’s death was compounded by a road accident involving a minibus taxi transporting the mourners and her body to the Eastern Cape.

On their way to Libode on Friday morning, the Toyota Quantum they were travelling in collided with a kudu near Graaff-Reinet. No-one was injured.

It is customary in Xhosa culture for women not to view the body of loved ones if they have died violently or accidentally.

The mourning mother hoped Nyamandi would get a just sentence for his alleged brutality.

“Our hope now is with God and the justice system,” she said.


Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.