Listeriosis over; eat all polonies

2018-09-06 06:01
Health Minister Aaron MotsoalediPHOTO: Collen Mashaba

Health Minister Aaron MotsoalediPHOTO: Collen Mashaba

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Russians and polony lovers can once again indulge in their favourite delicacies after health minister Aaron Motsoaledi declared them safe for consumption on Monday.

Earlier this year, the government announced a ban on certain cold meat products, mainly russians and polony, following the outbreak of listeriosis in the country.

Speaking at the National Health Laboratory Service in Johannesburg, Motsoaledi said R12million had been spent to fight the outbreak.

He assured the nation that the delicacies can now be consumed without fear of the listeria bacteria. However, he said it remained a mystery how the bacteria ended up at the affected factories, including Rainbow.

Motsoaledi said a total of 157 meat processing facilities were inspected by a team of health practitioners, leading to 5 512 tons of meat being identified, recalled and destroyed.

“A team of World Health Organisation experts agreed that because no cases of listerios had been identified since the first week of June, the rate of laboratory confirmed cased has dropped to pre-outbreak levels. Therefore, the outbreak is over,” he said.

But he warned that the reality of listeriosis remained.

“This does not mean peole will no longer suffer from listeriosis. There have been between 60 and 80 case every year before the outbreak,” said Motsoaledi.

Motsoaledi said a surveillance system to test all human cases and identify particular dangerous strains of the bacteria had been put in place to prevent future outbreaks.

Commenting on recent claims that some foreign owned shops sold fake and expired foods, Motsoaledi said apart from social media pictures and videos the department had received “no evidence” to substantiate the rumours.

He said a team of health practitioners had been dispatched to shops around the nation to look and gather evidence.

“We’ve seen pictures. We don’t even know where the pictures were taken, we don’t even know where to start. That is why when we told municipalities on August 8, we just said go out and search all the food premises.

“The operation revealed that 281 premises were operating without valid health certificates.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.